Job Title: Finance Officer
Reporting to: MENA Finance Manager
Grade and Salary: Competitive salary dependent on experience
Contract terms and hours: 37.5 hours per week, 12 month fixed-term contract ( May extend depends on funding )
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a not-for-profit organisation operational in 12 countries
across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Saferworld is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment that safeguards our staff, partners and communities. Our organisational integrity is derived from the values and principles that underpin and guide our work.
The Finance Officer will report to, and work closely with the MENA Finance Manager and the Financial Controller to strengthen financial processes in Yemen, and ensure smooth and efficient management of internal financial systems. The post-holder will assist team members in operating in a secure financial environment through maintaining comprehensive and accurate financial transactions records.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Prepare and maintain books of accounts.
- Assist the FM in preparing annual budget, financial and Management reports in line with donor and in- country compliance.
- Monitor project and Yemen office spending to ensure it is to agreed budgets and report accordingly.
- Maintain a computerised accounting system in line with agreed procedures (SUN system and / other finance systems used by Saferworld).
- Managing partner’s finance reporting ensuring compliance with Safer-world, donor and local authority’s regulations;
- Reconcile bank statements, and provide weekly updates, and monthly financial reports to MENA finance Manager and thereafter, to the UK office.
- Prepare all the end of Month journals and adjustments.
- Ensure agreed reporting dates are maintained and financial policies adhered to.
- Responsible for accurate data entry into ledger accounting system, assist improvement and system enhancement work.
- Ensure expenses are authorised and processed in accordance with agreed procedures and Saferworld polices.
- Petty cash maintenance.
- Prepare fund requests and expenditure reports
- Conduct and maintain records of all financial transactions.
- Ensure bill-voucher preservation and on time payment of the relevant services.
- Act as focal person for internal and external audit requests.
- Keep up to date changes in financial regulation and legislation.
- Conduct field visits to monitor partner’s financial transactions and reports
- Manage the payroll ensuring all statutory payments are made.
- Post payroll transactions to the software, prepare and post the monthly salary recharges.
Key working relationships
Yemen office team, London Finance team, and the MENA team.
Scope and accountability
Decision making and limits of authority
Legal, regulatory and compliance responsibility
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- A first degree in Business or Accounting or related field is essential.
- Graduate or part-qualified member of a recognized accounting body e.g. ACCA, CPA, CIMA would be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of accounting procedures and principles, financial management, tax compliance, and operations.
- Understanding of Yemen employment and financial legislation.
- Understanding of INGO Operation procedures and requirements.
- Experience of working in finance, accounting or administration.
- Experience of working in an NGO/ INGO environment
- Experience in bookkeeping and computerised accounting systems and/or SUN
- Experience managing financial systems in Yemen in accordance with national regulations.
Skills and abilities
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Arabic
- A willingness to promote the work of Saferworld and develop collaborative work with others.
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of transparency, accountability, and honesty.
- Strong ethics, with an ability to manage confidential data.
- Strong time management skills.
- Good IT skills, including in MS word and excel.
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld.
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles.
- A positive problem-solving approach.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment, sensitive to differences of ethnicity, religion and gender.
- A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner.
- A commitment to learn and be open to new ideas and approaches.
- Ability to regularly travel in country as required to provide training and support to SW Staff and partners
How to Apply
To apply: Download and complete an application form at http://www.saferworld.org.uk/jobs/jobs and send to HR at firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref: Yemen Finance Officer)
Deadline for applications: 28 Sep 2022
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل