Ended IT Manager
Job Title: IT Manager
Location: Yemen | Aden
Overtime Eligible: (per local law) n/a
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen Country program has been established in 2012, and currently implementing integrated Health, Nutrition, Environmental Health (WASH), Economic Recovery and Development and Women Protection and Empowerment programming in eight governorate. Education programing is scheduled to start in August 2018.
The IRC Yemen Country Program operates with its Country Office in Sana’a and its main Field Office in Aden. The Country Office in Sana’a also doubles as a Field Office for Sana’a and Amanat Al Asama, In addition there are three subfield offices Abyan, Hodeida and Al Dhale, with the Al Dhale office covering Lahaj, and the Abyan office covering activities in Shabwa.
The IT Department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure of the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations. An integral component of this effort is ensuring that Country Programs have the capacity to implement and support these IT initiatives effectively across the country offices and in the field sites.
Reporting to the deputy director operations (DDO), the IT Manager (ITM) will provide quality leadership and oversight of all IRC Country Office IT service functions, including assisting and facilitating the installation, configuration, staff training and operations support. A key aspect of this role is ensuring all technology implementations in-country conforms to the global IT policies and procedures hence working closely with the Regional IT director (RITD) is vital. Another key aspect of this role will be to establish an open channel to different working groups across the country program to ensure business needs are met and IT concerns were being addressed in a timely fashion.
- Work in close collaboration with RITD to ensure all IT updates are shared and timely guidance is sought
- Interact with Programs, Operations and field offices to ensure understanding of business needs and efficient support is delivered
- Work with field office IT staff and Field Coordinators to ensure timely delivery of IT project activities and resolution of IT issues.
- Conduct relevant training sessions to ensure that staff possess the knowledge and skills commensurate with their responsibilities specially in using the technologies being implemented in IRC.
- Manage installation, configuration, maintenance, repair, security and documentation of local area networks, servers, desktop/laptop computers, communication resources and other office equipment
- In consultation with the RITD, test and evaluate new technologies that will improve IT support processes in country and region.
- Investigate local Internet connectivity options to connect CP offices through VPNs and obtain adequate bandwidth for Intranet and application connectivity.
- Implement and manage backup solutions for office/individual users as per IRC IT recommendations and provide the necessary training on the use of these back-up solutions.
- Help ensure successful implementation of IRC IT global initiatives and policies.
- Creation of a country IT strategy plan to improve the IT state of the country program in line with Global IT strategy focused on SMART objectives measured every quarter.
- Participate in CO management meetings, grants and proposal sessions to lobby and advocate for IT initiatives in line with the set roadmap.
- Enforce network security policies.
- Maintain firewall rules and perform regular security sweeps for new vulnerabilities.
- Participate in the annual budget planning and ensure allocation for the necessary IT investments to acquire the required infrastructure that corresponds to the business needs
- Act as the IT Lead for country office program
- Perform other duties as directed by the operations director.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Deputy Director Operations
Position directly supervises: IT Officer(s)
Indirect Reporting: Regional IT Director - East Africa
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Program Managers/Coordinators, Finance Controller, HR & Supply Chain Managers/Coordinators, and Field Managers/Coordinators. Regional office IT Coordinator,
External: Logistic cluster, Counterparts in other INGOS/ UN, Vendors and Consultants
Education: Bachelor’s and or Master’s university degree in IT, Computer Engineering and/or equivalent in relevant field
Technical Skills & Experience:
- At least 5 years’ experience in IT Service Management
- Strong troubleshooting skills, with the ability to effectively convey technical troubleshooting results to IT peers for seamless issue resolution
- Experience in Virtualization technologies using VMware
- Background in networking technologies using Cisco and/or Cyberoam
- Proficiency with client-server environment using Microsoft Server 2008/2012 implementing Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and group policy objects
- Familiarity in server and endpoint updating and patching methodologies
- Strong technical writing/documentation skills
- Experience in providing support in an environment that implements ERP is an advantage
Soft Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross cultural context.
- Excellent presentation, verbal communication and report-writing skills with the ability to convey information effectively in English.
- Customer & client centered and service oriented mind & attitude, and ability to work independently under pressure.
- Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional patience.
- Strong diplomacy and collaboration skills in establishing positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
Language Skills: Excellent English and communication skills including speaking, listening and writing
Computer Skill: High proficiency in supporting industry standard IT infrastructure and applications
Certificates or Licenses: A+, ITIL, PMP, MCSE or similar certifications preferred
Working Environment: Based in Head/Field office, required to travel to field offices and joining regional conferences and workshops, if required
There is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas. Staff must comply with all IRC security policies and procedures applicable to international staff. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link: https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=5231
Deadline for Applying: June 15, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.