Ended Senior Programme Assistant (T&R)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Senior Programme Assistant (T&R)
Organizational Unit: Transition and Recovery (T&R)
Duty Station: Yemen, Sana’a
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) Graded contract, Aligned to G7, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No.: SVN2019/110
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Sunday 16, June 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Working under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (T&R), the Senior Programme Assistant (T&R) will contribute to ensuring smooth implementation of project activities and objectives as set out in the relevant project documents, and in accordance with the IOM standards and best practices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Lead and coordinate the implementation of assigned Transition and Recovery projects; monitor implementation of the activities to ensure work is proceeding according to established plans; analyse implementation difficulties and make recommendations for adjusting implementation modalities and work plans to best reflect changing environment in the field;Support in the coordination of Transition and Recovery project activities through information management, establishment of regular communication and coordination channels between Transition and Recovery Head Office and Sub Office personnel, and coordination between Transition and Recovery unit and other programme and support units in IOM Yemen mission;
- Monitor budget expenditures; verify availability of funds and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Coordinate and monitor the financial, administrative and technical aspects of the project in line with IOM policies and donor requirements;
- Maintain effective liaison and coordination with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders relevant to the project;
- Coordinate with service providers, implementing partners as well as IOM resource management staff to ensure that Transition and Recovery procurement and payment processes are conducted in a timely manner in line with IOM policies and protocols;
- Coordinate the preparation of correspondences, briefing notes, presentations, narrative and financial reports; ensure status reports are prepared and submitted in a timely manner;
- Identify and document good practices and lessons learned; contribute to the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP), policies and concept papers and support the development of new projects;
- Supervise and provide guidance and training to reporting staff;
- Undertake monitoring activities in the field as required;
- Perform any other relevant task assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience Education
- Masters/Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, Business Management, or any related field.
- Minimum seven years (five years for Univeristy Degree holders) of professional experience in the humanitarian field.
- Technical experience with transition and recovery, including social cohesion building, cash for work activities, community asset building, small business plan development and market assessment.
- Experience in managing budgets, monitoring field activities, and reporting.
- Professional experience with UN agencies or other international organizations would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge in MS office applications.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
indicating position applied on subject line by Sunday 16th June , 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line SVN2019/110 Senior Programme Assistant (T&R)
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).