Ended Government Liaison Manager
Position: Government Liaison Manager
Report to: Country director
Duty Station: Sana’a
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in eight governorates through direct programming and through local partnership in Health, WASH, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development, Education, Child Protection and Women Protection and Empowerment.
The Government Liaison Manager is responsible for liaising on IRC’s behalf with various governmental authorities, including but not limited to all ministries, social security, tax and customs authorities at central and governorate levels where required to facilitate smooth implementation of IRC’s programming, including timely approvals of Principle Agreements, sub-Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding and other permissions.
- Build and maintain relationships with key technical managers and decision-makers in the government, different ministries and among local authorities. Act as a key focal point.
- Promote IRC’s work and raise IRC image externally at Sana’a and Aden level.
- Proactively coordinate and advocate on IRC’s behalf with local, regional and national officials to ensure that the desired outcomes for IRC’s activities in Yemen are achieved.
- Accompany the Country Director and other senior staff to meetings with government officials and facilitate conversations for smooth representation of IRC in those meetings.
- Participate in any relevant meetings and conferences organized by authorities at Sana’a and Aden level.
- Support the field managers in managing governorate level relationships and addressing any issues at that level.
- Lead on development and submission of progress reports and applications to relevant ministries, including Principal Agreement, Sub-Agreements, MOUs, and other periodic reports.
- The Manager will be expected to allocate 50% of their time on Aden; training and strengthening the capacity of the liaison officer, providing technical support as required. But this doesn’t require to spend 50% of the time in Aden.
- Ensure timely signature of IRC Principal Agreement, Sub-Agreements, MOUs and any other relevant agreements between IRC and the government.
- Ensure active follow-up on outstanding applications filed with various ministries, responding to queries from authorities in a timely manner.
- Work with authorities to secure all required authorizations and permissions to facilitate smooth implementation of IRC’s programming.
- Develop methodologies to improve the liaison process including best practices and new developments affecting the IRC as humanitarian actor.
- Familiarize and keep up with all government requirements applicable to IRC’s work in Yemen to support programs, field management and grants team to ensure compliance. Develop guidelines including all requirements, procedures and processes.
- In close cooperation with legal counsel, identify and share new policies and procedures to create awareness of requirements among senior staff and support compliance.
- Ensure senior IRC staff are aware of and understand any concerns of government officials regarding IRC’s operations, and that such concerns are factored into IRC’s communication strategy and programming.
- Ensure all correspondence with the government is in line with IRC policies and records are retained in organized manner.
- Participate in grants opening meetings to understand the concept of the respective program.
- Frequently travel to Aden to manage, support and educate the Liaison Officer in carrying out his responsibilities.
- Manage technical performance of the Liaison Officer based in Aden.
- Prepare and share regular progress reports with internal stakeholders.
- Carry out similar tasks assigned by the Country Director and/or other senior staff.
- BA degree in public administration, humanities, social sciences or social works
- At least 5 years of experience in relevant area. Experience of working with the government at a senior level will be considered as an advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of the Yemen system of government and administration;
- Self-driven, independent and motivated.
- Diplomatic nature, excellent negotiation skills plus negotiation experience;
- Strong communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel at least 40% of the time to different governorates as required.
- Excellent written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Good computer skills, including confident use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong commitment to IRC’s mission, purpose and values;
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link: https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=5270
Deadline for Applying: June 17, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.