Ended Health & Nutrition Promotion Officer
Position: Health & Nutrition Promotion Officer.
Vacancy Reference Number: HNPO_HOD19
PURPOSE OF DIVISION:
Nutrition Department works with country program team in identifying, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development projects and program in collaboration with local, national and international partners.
The overall objective of nutrition department is to save and improve lives of the targeted beneficiaries and contribute to a reduction in morbidity and mortality associated with acute malnutrition among children under-five years of age, pregnant and lactating women in collaboration with international donors, INGOs and UN agencies.
The staff will be responsible to ensure that the nutrition response activities are executed in line with the national and international humanitarian standards and donor guidelines and it demands ability to manage, organize and support all aspects of the project. Coordinate and liaise with District Nutrition Supervisors and District Health Managers at field level and health care workers at health facility level in order to effectively implement Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) and Infant & Young Child Feeding (IYCF) components in cost effective manner with no duplication/overlapping of activities and in accordance to the national guidelines.
The staff will be responsible for running Nutrition and Health Services under the current funded Nutrition program by taking the lead role in all Health and Nutrition promotion specifically Infant & Young Child Feeding (IYCF) activities both at the targeted health facility and at community level through Health Care Workers, Mother to Mother Support Groups and Community Health Volunteers
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Working closely with Health Care Workers, Community Health Volunteers and Mother to Mother Support Group in health and nutrition promotion activities.
- Close coordination with nutrition officers/Assistants and Nutrition Project Coordinator in work-plan development and health/nutrition promotion curriculum development
- Regular interaction with project beneficiaries and other community members in the spirit of engaging them in all project implementation stages (planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) as well as complains/feedback mechanism.
- Coordinating with other key stakeholders at Governorate level (MoPHP, WFP, UNICEF, UNOCHA and other nutrition partners) in health/nutrition promotional activities
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
Reporting to Nutrition Project Coordinator (technically) and Head of Office / admin officer (administratively), Health & Nutrition Officer will spearhead all nutrition/health promotion activities including capacity building and supervision of Health Care Workers, Community Health Volunteers and established Mother to Mother Support Groups. Key will be promotion of Infant & Young Child Feeding practices at both health facilities and at community level.
Responsibility for Resources:
- The staff will take care of any asset issued to him during his tenure and report any loss or damage to the Head of Office or Admin/Finance Officer where this applies.
- The staff will properly file and safely store all project documents both in hard and soft copies and produce them any time they are required
- He/she will utilize any hired vehicle or other equipment in favour of project implementation
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff. This includes but not limited to:
- Identify gaps and Participate in the development of appropriate health messages, interventions and in conducting health and Nutrition training for target beneficiaries, community groups and the Mother to Mother support groups
- Take lead in organizing for community dialogue; sensitize, mobilize and organize community to ensure awareness of responsibilities in health & nutrition
- Follow up with the Community Health Volunteers to ensure regular home visits/follow up of severely malnourished children; those not responding to programme treatment; and tracing of absentees and defaulted beneficiaries.
- Spearhead the establishment and running of IYCF counselling corners in all the targeted health facilities
- Promote health and nutrition awareness through Information Education & Communication (IEC) / Behavioural Change Communication (BCC) on IYCF, control and prevention of common diseases; disease prevention and control through proper personal, household and communal hygiene
- Conduct / facilitate nutrition education sessions to promote exclusive breastfeeding and appropriate infant and young child feeding practices at health facility and community level during CMAM distributions.
- Promote safe motherhood practices including antenatal care, delivery in health facilities or with skilled attendant and postnatal care.
- Actively participate in planning and implementation of IYCF trainings targeting Health Care Workers and Community Health Volunteers.
- In liaison with the supervisor collaborate with the WASH team & Food security team in discussions and integration of health education into WASH activities and Food security activities.
- Document activities conducted at community level and submit weekly & monthly reports to the link health facility and IRY whenever required using provided tools
- Carry out any other activities to support the effective functioning of the Health and Nutrition Programme as requested by IRY
- Any other role assigned by the line supervisor
- At least 2 years’ experience in emergency health/nutrition project
- Nutrition / health education background
- Willingness and ability to travel the field/targeted health facilities regularly
- Professional training on Infant & Young Child Feeding (IYCF) and Community Based Management of acute Malnutrition (CMAM)
- Proficient in computer application (MS Word, MS Excel)
- Excellent report writing skills
- Previous experience working for I/NGO is an asset
- Familiarity with program area is highly desired
- Fluent in both English and Arabic (written and spoken)
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and written/verbal communication skills,
- Ability to plan and organize work independently with minimal supervision paying attention to detail and completing the planned tasks in timely manner
- Supervisory and managerial skills with proven ability to manage a demanding workload
Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, facilitating change, problem solving, team player, collaboration, developing teams, interpersonal skills, contributing to team success, negotiating, planning and organization.
At least a degree or diploma in Nutrition or health related course with professional training on IYCF and Community Based Management of acute Malnutrition (CMAM)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to Click Here .
- All applications must include the vacancy reference number in the Reference No.
- Qualified Females are strongly encouraged to apply
- Only Short–listed candidates will be contacted.