Ended Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer
TITLE: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer
PLACE: Hajjah, Yemen
Project: HI Health projects in Yemen
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organization with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities (PwDs) as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of Yemen. HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation center in Sana'a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid, supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing physical and functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
While all of HI activities were done so far in Sana’a governorate, HI is planning to expand its activities in the Northern part of the country including Hajjah and Hodeida.
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the direct responsibility of the Filed Coordinator the Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer is responsible to carry out MEAL activities related to project implementation and report findings in order to contribute to effective project implementation and learning cycle in line with HI Project Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Policy.
Line manager: Field Coordinator
Team Managed: data base assistant
Strong functional link with: Project Officer, Physiotherapist, PSS worker
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
PROGRAM QUALITY AND PLANNING:
- Work with and support MEAL Manager, HI’s Senior Staff, and the PMs in preparing projects MEAL plans, indicators tracking sheets, and MEAL tools in line with the projects action plans and budgets.
- Participate in designing and implementation of studies, assessments and learning in coordination and cooperation with sectors’ technical coordinators and programme staff.
- Support the MEAL manager on identifying training needs of staff on MEAL and conduct trainings to address the capacity gaps, in collaboration with their line-manager.
- Examine projects implementation and assess possible improvements based on lessons learned, best practices, technical advances, etc.
- Support the development of tools/methodologies to enhance projects quality.
PROJECT MONITORING AND EVALUATION:
- Track and monitor outputs and expected results of ongoing projects and the extent of completion of various activities and present findings to MEAL manager.
- Support planning, implementation and follow-up of evaluations by: writing terms of references, preparing project summaries.
- Assess the satisfaction of beneficiaries with regards to the activities.
- Assess potential negative impacts of HI intervention on the community.
- Evaluate the access to HI activities for vulnerable legitimate beneficiaries and ensure the identification of potential barriers which might hinder access to services.
- Ensure appropriate and consistent implementation of project monitoring plan and tools and to support the projects managers in the review/revision of it when necessary.
- Conducts regular field visits to projects sites to carry out process monitoring as well as gathers feedback from the beneficiary community about the implemented projects and submit a detail report about the activities.
- Report to MEAL manager in a timely manner on the progress and completion of projects implementation, including obstacles faced.
- Evaluate the impact of HI activities on potentially vulnerable profiles or potentially vulnerability creating situations.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND LEARNING:
- Ensure implementation of proper and comprehensive Complaints Response Mechanism (CRM) for projects where each complainant is properly listened and responded.
- Ensure implementation of beneficiary feedback mechanism; the collection, management, analysis and integration of lessons learned.
- Ensure that all staff at all levels, including senior managers fully understand and promote accountability in general.
- Ensure that project activities are designed to promote feedback and response mechanisms and include systems to effectively manage complaints.
- Prepare monitoring reports according to defined methodology and schedule.
- Contribute to development of donor reports (e.g., analysis and interpretation of project data).
- Contribute to development of internal reports (e.g., Post Intervention Monitoring Reports) and presentation of findings/learnings to relevant team members.
- Maintain integrity and organization of monitoring documents and collaborate in their capitalization and archiving.
DATA COLLECTION AND ANALSYS:
- Collaborate with the Database Officer(s) to ensure proper design, formulation, coding, and utility of beneficiary database,
- Support in Developing and designing information management systems resulting from monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning activities, such as progress reports, databases and complaint mechanisms,
- Ensure comprehensive execution of required data analyses for monthly, periodic, and annual reporting cycle of project(s)
- Produce first interpretation of project quality and impact analyses prior to rolling up data to FTAs and Tech Cos according to defined schedules and methodologies
LOGISTICS AND ADMINISTRATION:
- Contribute to the activities planning in collaboration with the program manager
- Respect compliance with logistic, administration and Human Resource processes
- Anticipate the logistic needs and communicate to the relevant department: supply and services, movements etc…
DEMONSTRATION OF ETHICS AND PROFESSIONALISM:
The individual in this position is expected to demonstrate ethical and professional conduct in the course of their work including, but not limited to:
- Respect beneficiary confidentiality.
- Respect and promote HI’s policies and report to your line manager any violation of HI policies
- Report any incident or act that causes any harm to a beneficiary or to others
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the other departments of the organization
- Ensure reporting of problems, challenges, or constraints in project implementation and execution of tasks and responsibilities to direct line manager.
- Contribute to the culture of teamwork.
Note: This position requires a high level of flexibility. The person in this role will be required to be willing and able to adapt to the addition or change of tasks as directed by the line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, business administration, information management, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in MEAL related role in an INGO/NGO environment, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Solid conceptual understanding about different components of MEAL.
- Demonstrated skills in supporting MEAL systems.
- Strong experience in information management systems.
- Experience of developing and conducting surveys, and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability to affected populations.
- Previous experience of managing a team and managing projects.
- Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/participating in evaluations.
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports.
- Knowledge on the development of e-data collection tools.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to handle complex issues.
- Very good knowledge of the MS office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); and (e-data applications, Kobo toolbox, SPSS, ArcGIS, …).
- Commitment to the aims and principles of HI.
- English and Arabic language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing).
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tactic and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication skills: written and oral.
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure.
- Capable of working collaborative with team members to achieve results.
- Relates and works will with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds. developing conducting surveys
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Hajjah, with frequent movements to the field
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: Till 31st of December 2019 (renewable based on performance and fund availability)
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2019/PROG/MEALOFF/HAJJAH+ Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Tuesday 18th June 2019
Please address all applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.