Ended PACE Manager
Job Title: PACE Manager
Department: Programs Department
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)
Location: Aden, Yemen
No. of Position: 1
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year, multi-million US Dollar, a community-led program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities (GC) in seven governorates in Yemen (tentatively in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, Taiz, Sana’a, Ibb, and Dhamar). The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion and promote the peaceful resolution of differences. To reach its goal, YCST will engage communities in an inclusive approach through Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) Mode to identify and implement service delivery and conflict mitigation projects, build the capacity of formal and informal local leaders, organizations, and networks to serve as neutral arbitrators and peace builders that can meet community and constituent needs that will serve to reduce localized conflicts, and provide stability. The program will also carry out regular and action-oriented learning and contextual analysis across all interventions to support adaptive management and enhanced outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The PACE & Capacity Building Manager will manage a team of trainers, mobilizers and governor coordinators in organizing and implementing, adjusting, and following up on Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) methodology components of the project. The PACE methodology will consist of the following main elements:
- Community profile, Entry, Mapping, and Needs Assessment which includes Risk Assessment and Entry Strategy, Conducting Baseline Household Survey, and Community mapping, profiling, and needs assessment
- Community Meeting and Selection of Community Enhancement Team (CET) which includes developing Communication Strategy, Presenting results to the community, Nomination and Selection of Committee members, Dispute Resolution and Mediation, and CET Orientation and Training
- Conducting Participatory Conflict Analysis
- Prioritization of Activities to Reduce Drivers and Impact of Violent Conflict
- Activity Design, Approval, and Tendering
- Project Implementation and Monitoring
- Providing Capacity Building to his/her team and the local partners
- Training and mentoring new staff on the PACE process
- The two PACE and Training Manager will Plan, implement, and monitor activities across the YCST components within the target communities. One manager for the targeted communities in Sana'a, Ibb, and Dhamar and the other manager in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, and Taiz. Their main responsibilities include:
- Present YCST in the governorates; managing relationships and forging alliances with local partners and other implementing organizations.
- Manage the implementation of all YCST PACE and training activities in the governorates' targeted communities, ensuring timely, quality, and effective execution of the project deliverables.
- Supervise the process of preparing responsive applications by prospective grantees that serve YCST objectives and in accordance with USAID regulations.
- Oversee the granting process, in close coordination with the grants team, including evaluation of applications, awarding grants and overseeing the implementation of projects in compliance with Global Communities and USAID rules and regulation.
- Lead the mapping of targeted communities to identify volunteers, community leaders, leading NGOs, businesses, and governmental institutions in addition to managing the community meetings, including a wide meeting in each targeted community under the guidance of the CET
- Manage the outreach to NGOs and community mapping efforts in addition to managing the process of convening and formalizing the CETs within the target communities,
- Facilitate the engagement of NGOs and other stakeholders in any YCST training and meetings as requested, in close coordination with the trainers and mobilizers.
- Supervise and oversee field office staff including trainers, coordinator, and community mobilizers, and managing their work plans and deliverables and providing regular coaching to help them deliver on time quality results.
- Maintain a good level of morale and motivation among the Field Office staff, ensuring that they are integrated effectively with the rest of YCST
- Monitor fieldwork performance, proactively identifying shortfalls compared to targets and seeking solutions promptly to minimize the risk of delivery failures.
- Identify trends and gap areas across communities, trouble-shooting key issue areas and channeling trends or challenges to DCOP and COP for further action.
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team to ensure programmatic activities are results driven and closely integrated with the outcomes and objectives outlined in YCST's MEL plan.
- Ensure strong and coordinated communication and information sharing processes between YCST PACE and Training Manager in Sana'a and Aden.
- Develop strong communication channels and ensure effective transfer of knowledge and learning's between the governorate team, including the transfer of lessons learned as well as the success stories.
- Provide regular updates to the DCOP and COP; review and sign-off on the submission of periodic reports and updates as requested.
- Provide input to the yearly work plan to ensure that long-term and short-term objectives are met.
- Conduct research and provide updates on the general political, social and economic context in the targeted communities and governorate as related to YCST focus areas.
- Ensure bilingual submission of deliverables and all project related documents.
- Develop a comprehensive training program for staff, PACE communities, and stabilization communities, and soft skills development to accompany projects for the sustainability of the projects.
- Manage training programs for the YCST staff, community mobilizers, and community Enhancement Teams (CET), including planning, organizing, budgeting, facilitating, and implementing of the project.
- Support community mobilizers to train committees on community engagement principles and work planning, including strategies to ensure gender equity and principles of conflict sensitivity, using existing curricula adapted by
- Develop and deliver experiential training all training programs, in order to ensure that program design and implementation meets the needs of CETs members and YCST effectively and efficiently.
- Coordinate and obtain, as needed, professional and technical assistance for training programs from all applicable or appropriate sources.
- Develop and deliver TOTs for the staff on facilitation skills and continuously monitor and improve their skills
- Assist the CETs and local governments in their planning and development efforts through the training models, including the project development cycle, identification of funding sources, assistance in preparing applications for said funding sources, and tracking projects to completion.
- Other duties as may be assigned by YCST DCOP and COP.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Sociology or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- 3-4 years’ experience in community development and/or mobilization preferably with INGOs.
- 3-4 years of experiences in managing capacity building training programs.
- Knowledge and experience in adult pedagogy and learning styles.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a staff of 5-6 individuals, often in remote locations.
- Experience managing field teams with diverse backgrounds to produce programmatic results.
- Strong managerial and organization skills in coordinating the work implemented by NGOs.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Positive attitude towards working in Teams.
- Solid planning skills and sound judgment dealing with implementation challenges and finding solutions.
- Experience with USAID programs and systems/regulations preferred.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent presentation preparation and delivery skills
- Fluency in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively
- Ability to travel as required within Yemen.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Note. YCST will send the candidates to TOT in PACE.
Normal office environment, however, due to the nature of activities and areas where we operate, you might have to work below normal/difficult working/travel/accommodation conditions. Able to work on a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Able to work out of office location, at times at odd hours.
DURATION: From June 2019 until August 15, 2021
- The application should consist of a detailed resume or CV. The CV should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the YCST program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207
- Applications will be received until the position id filled.
- Due to the urgency for this position interviews will be done on a rolling basis.