Ended Communication and Media Officer
Job Title: Communication and Media Officer
Location: Sana’a with frequent visits to other governorates
Reporting to: Programmes Manager
Start date: ASAP
Human Appeal is a non-profit organisation working across the globe to strengthen humanity’s struggle against poverty, social injustice and natural disaster. Through the provision of immediate relief and establishment of sustainable development programmes, we aim to invest in real effective solutions.
Now over 26 years, Human Appeal has a presence in 24 countries spanning across 3 regions: Asia, Africa, and middle east in addition to international offices in Europe. 2019 is an exciting time as we continue to build on our achievements to transform the lives of millions of people across the world. We are looking for a dynamic candidate who is passionate about international development to join our Human Appeal Yemen team.
The communication and media officer will be responsible for overall managing and drive delivery of media and communications strategies to support Human Appeal’s Programme, marketing, campaigns, and advocacy in country. He/she will be responsible for providing technical leadership, the officer will be based in Sana’a with frequent travels to other governorates when security situation allows. The communication officer will be supervised by the deputy HoM/programmes manager and will work closely with country director and other finance and operation team.
MAJOR Essential Duties RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To develop press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organize press conferences, media briefing, visits of journalists to programmes locations, and digital contents (stories, photos, blogs, videos).
- To drive media and communications strategy (including digital media).
- To maximize and promote the impact of programmes and crisis response.
- To generate and oversee regular high quality media coverage (national to global) of Human Appeal’s programmes and operation.
- To regularly liaise with international teams (Communications, Fundraising, Marketing and Programmes) on seasonal campaigns such as Yemen crisis campaign, Ramadhan, Qurbani, Zakat and others.
- To proactively and/or reactively deal with media inquiries.
- To stand as a spokesperson, when required.
- To work closely with the communications team to develop HA’s messaging to public media audiences including developing media products such as press releases, reactive, and media briefs.
- To monitor and to evaluate news and media coverage generated to draw lessons to improve coverage.
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with key media players, journalists and broadcasters.
- To develop and maintain a database of local, regional and international media correspondents.
- To regularly visit field operation and work with programmes staff to ensure a direct link between programmes work and media coverage.
- To collate content and share with relevant teams and departments.
- To produce regular Situation Reports (Sit Reps) programmes information (PIs), and media summaries.
- To facilitate media and VIP field visits.
- To train, coach and support HA’s staff and partners in-country in order to build their media and communication skills and capabilities.
- To stay up to date with the latest thinking on how to improve effectiveness of media and communication approaches and impact.
- To develop and maintain a library of communication resource materials and products.
- Develop communications-related tools, templates or SOPs as required.
- Raise awareness and build capacity for programmes staff on communications skills and policies.
- Support the development of project communications plans and provide advice for programmes staff.
- Develop and deliver a clear and effective system for internal communications
- To take and gathers qualities media and upload to Human Appeal - Media Centre and relate resources.
- Any other communications-related task as required or directed.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the media environment, either as a journalist or as a media officer in a development, campaigns or humanitarian organization.
- Experience in producing media materials (writing stories, production of video and audio reports) and strong capacity to deliver these within short deadlines.
- Strong writing skills, preferably with a history of writing for media.
- Ability to produce high quality communication materials within tight deadlines.
- Ability to priorities work to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust/respond to changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Strong digital skills in using social media (websites/Twitter/blogs/Facebook etc)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner.
- Willingness to travel in-country and out-country when required.
- Ability to work with digital equipment, filming and editing skills for short audio and video packages.
- Desirable skills in designing.
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English and Arabic.
- Please send your English CV to email@example.com
- Clearly write the Position Name that you are applying for in the Email subject.
- RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date, as CVs will be reviewed as they are submitted and INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON A ROLLING BASIS.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 27 / June / 2019