Ended Deputy Chief of Party
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)
Department: Program Department
Reports To: Chief of Party
Location: Aden, Yemen
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year, multi-million US Dollar, a community-led program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities (GC) in seven governorates in Yemen (tentatively in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, Taiz, Sana’a, Ibb, and Dhamar). The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion and promote the peaceful resolution of differences. To reach its goal, YCST will engage communities in an inclusive approach through Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) Mode to identify and implement service delivery and conflict mitigation projects, build the capacity of formal and informal local leaders, organizations, and networks to serve as neutral arbitrators and peace builders that can meet community and constituent needs that will serve to reduce localized conflicts, and provide stability. The program will also carry out regular and action-oriented learning and contextual analysis across all interventions to support adaptive management and enhanced outcomes.
This position is an unaccompanied post, and will be based in Aden with the possibility of later moving to Sana’a or another northern governorate. This position will report to the Chief of Party (COP).
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy Chief of Party will support the Chief of Party in managing the program activities and providing technical leadership for program design and implementation, specifically community-based development and conflict management.
- Provides technical leadership for program design and implementation
- Leads local Global Communities team and local partners to engage communities during program implementation
- Pilots stabilization activities and identifies effective to manage conflict and prevent a resurgence of violence
- Builds capacity of formal and informal local community leaders, organizations and networks to meet constituent and community needs
- Carries out regular contextual analysis action-oriented learning across YCST interventions to support adaptive management
- Assist the Chief of Party
- Supports strategic and operational planning and ensures project compliance with all contractual USAID and Global Communities reporting and financial requirements
- Assists in creating and maintaining strong working relationships with USAID, local authority counterparts, local CSOs, and other program stakeholders.
- Serves as acting Chief of Party in his/her absence
- Program Support
- Manages YCST program staff to ensure the program is achieving its objectives
- Performs day-to-day management of program implementation, deadlines, reports, and program milestones
- Makes key decisions and solve problems under tight deadlines while ensuring operational and program integrity
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of USAID policies, procedures, and reporting requirements required
- Demonstrated skills and experience working closely with and supporting local communities in complex and challenging environments
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a variety of stakeholders, including donors, local government, civil society, and private sector
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in written and spoken Arabic an added advantage
- Prior experience in remote team management
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; Masters’ Degree preferred.
- Experience in a senior position on USAID programs strongly preferred.
- Minimum of six to eight years of work experience, five of which include progressively increasing experience managing and implementing community engagement programming in complex, fast-paced and politically sensitive contexts
- Experience in a conflict or post-conflict area
- Minimum of three years of experience supervising staff
- Prior experience in Yemen or other countries in the Middle East is preferred
- Equivalent combination of experience and education
Normal office environment, however, due to the nature of activities and areas where we operate, you might have to work below normal/difficult working/travel/accommodation conditions. Able to work on a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Able to work out of office location, at times at odd hours.
From May 2019 until August 15, 2021.
- Application should consist of a one-page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. The cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the YCST program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, selection processes would be on a rolling basis