Job Title: Stabilization Specialist
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party
Location: Aden, Yemen
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year, multi-million US Dollar, a community-led program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities (GC) in seven governorates in Yemen (tentatively in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, Taiz, Sana’a, Ibb, and Dhamar). The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion and promote the peaceful resolution of differences. To reach its goal, YCST will engage communities in an inclusive approach through Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) Mode to identify and implement service delivery and conflict mitigation projects, build the capacity of formal and informal local leaders, organizations, and networks to serve as neutral arbitrators and peace builders that can meet community and constituent needs that will serve to reduce localized conflicts, and provide stability. The program will also carry out regular and action-oriented learning and contextual analysis across all interventions to support adaptive management and enhanced outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
the Stabilization Specialist will be responsible for conducting a rapid assessment and situational analysis in the selected communities to determine major drivers of social and political tensions within communities and between communities and local authorities. Using key informant interviews, focus groups and meetings with stakeholders, NGOs and CSO representatives, He/She will identify: major drivers and influencers of political and social tensions; economic conditions; levels of security and trust between and within communities; opportunities and challenges for employment and potential activities to improve livelihoods; community priorities for needed basic services and community-level infrastructure needed for communities taking into consideration the needs of marginalized community members, such as youth and women . This process is to assist local authorities to understand the priorities of their constituents. With community input and prioritization, the Stability Specialist will provide the results of the rapid assessment to the local authorities and assist local authorities to build consensus with their constituencies to develop a responsive plan to meet communities’ priorities. This will enable local authorities to demonstrate tangible results and responsible governance and provide capacity building of local authorities to sustain investments, build communications with constituents and demonstrate the transparency and accountability necessary to build legitimacy.
Technical Guidance and Analysis
- Provide timely information and analysis on security, political, social and economic issues affecting stability dynamics at the local level, including their relation with national level dynamics;
- Provide programmatic advice and support to the COP and help to identify and resolve problems as they arise;
- Manage and organize coordination meetings with local authorities and communities.
- Conduct a rapid assessment and situational analysis in the selected communities to determine major drivers of social and political tensions within communities and between communities and local authorities
- Identify opportunities and challenges for employment and potential activities to improve livelihoods; community priorities for needed basic services and community-level infrastructure needed for communities taking into consideration the needs of marginalized community members, such as youth and women
- Track progress on project implementation in respective regions and facilitates the delivery of high-quality results as per stated objectives and outcomes;
- Identify emerging issues and critical stability gaps, provides an early warning function where necessary and ensures that priority interventions are identified and flagged for programmatic response at the regional level;
- Coordinate and cooperate with the other implementers in the area
Communication and Reporting
- Participate in awareness-raising and the implementation of the stability communications strategy;
- The incumbent will be required to maintain a regularly updated database of information, both substantive and financial, on the operational activities in the assigned area of operations in order to provide ad hoc reports as necessary;
- Deliver integrated quarterly reports for activities,
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The incumbent must be a dynamic, multi-functional person, with professionalism, dedication, and client orientation. The following qualifications are required:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent);
- Fluent in English and Arabic;
- 2 years’ experience in conflict resolution, post-conflict recovery, security analysis and/or development program management;
- Preference for candidates with field experience in conflict/past conflict contexts;
- Excellent facilitation skills
Normal office environment, however, due to the nature of activities and areas where we operate, you might have to work below normal/difficult working/travel/accommodation conditions. Able to work on a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Able to work out of office location, at times at odd hours.
From August 2019 until May 15, 2021.
- The application should consist of a one-page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. The cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, selection processes would be on a rolling basis.