Ended Mental Health Worker
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Position: Mental Health Worker
Location: Yarim district (based in A’amad)
Reporting to: Health Facility Supervisor
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (Mental Health Worker), based in Yarim (A’amad) to start as soon as possible.
Under the supervision of the (Health Facility Medical Supervisor), the (Mental Health Worker) will be responsible for the following primary responsibilities/activities in accordance to national and MdM procedure.
- Improving the beneficiaries’ mental health wellbeing and psychosocial condition
- Supporting the Primary Health Care Services (PHCS) medical team by providing guidance and capacity building for the implementation of qualitative psychosocial care and mental health activities
- Assisting the Hygiene & Health promoters in the identification of beneficiaries in need of specific psychological counseling and ensuring individual or group support for identified beneficiaries:
- Reports and project development.
Objective 1: Improving the beneficiaries’ mental health wellbeing and psychosocial condition
- Implementing psychosocial activities and providing psychological consultations when needed.
- Assess the beneficiaries’ psychological condition by using psychological tools to detect the vulnerable cases and ensure psychological follow up.
- Facilitation of Focus Group Discussions and support groups for the project beneficiaries: adults and children
- Analyzing of the content of the group activities and providing guidance and adapted directions taking into account the beneficiaries’ context reality
- Implementing play sessions with children and providing toys tailored to match the age and capacities of the children
- Using participatory methods to identify activity needs according to target groups, in order to facilitate the enrolment of adults and children in adequate activities
- Providing children and their mothers/care givers with the opportunity to play together and to improve their relationship and care practices
- Providing group supports for women within the pre and post-natal care activities
- Providing adapted activities for vulnerable groups: elders, pregnant and lactating women, disables, new born babies
- Ensuring individual psychological consultations and sessions for beneficiaries when needed
Objective 2: Supporting the PHCS medical team by providing guidance and capacity building for the implementation of qualitative psychosocial care and mental health activities
- Coordinating with the PHCS medical team to identify appropriate trainings and providing them regular trainings on Mental Health & Psych-Social Support (MHPSS).
Objective 3: Assisting the Hygiene & Health promoters in the identification of beneficiaries in need of specific psychological counselling and ensuring individual or group support for identified beneficiaries:
- Support the Hygiene & Health promoters to identify beneficiaries with vulnerabilities and to properly refer them to the MH worker
- Helping the Hygiene & Health promoters in the facilitation of the outreach activities for beneficiaries at community level when needed
- Establishing a strong collaboration with Hygiene and Health promoters by regular meetings and case studies sessions in order to enhance the referral system
- Providing regular trainings to Hygiene & Health promoters teams on Mental Health and Psycho Social Support
- Supporting the Hygiene & Health promoters in the sensitization sessions at community level and PHC centre
- When needed, providing psychological consultations and conducting group discussions activities through home visits for the most vulnerable cases and properly refer them to external partners or PHC centre
Objective 4: Reports and project development:
- Producing timely progress reports, including both quantitative and qualitative information, on MHPSS activities and clinical case studies
- Being in charge of the MHPSS materials and making the liaise with the logistic department for the procurement of the needed activities items
- To maintain good socio-professional relationships with national and international partners
- To attend trainings when required by MdM
- To attend team meetings and to give qualitative inputs
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties to ensure that beneficiaries are getting good quality services
- Strictly respect confidentiality of data, property of beneficiaries and MdM and respect confidentiality regarding the content of clinical interviews, except when exchanging information with the medical team in charge and within a professional frame
- College Degree in Psychology, Social or Humanitarian sciences. Master degree is preferred.
- Has the capacity to be based (manage her accommodation) in Ama’ad village/Yareem district/ Ibb Gov.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in clinical setup.
- Experience in community health public health (familiar with primary health care package services).
- Experience in training clinical staff.
Personal skills required:
- Minimum one year of experience in similar position with INGOs
- Psychology or social work.
- With expertise and experience Mental Health and Psycho Social Support field
- Speaking English.
- Have a good modulation of voice and confidence in communicating in public
- Work as team player and has flexibility in his/her work
- He/she can work independently and innovatively to develop and implement supervision and training activities that help expand community participation
- Experience working in humanitarian emergency settings is an asset
- Send CV + cover letter (including job reference) to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- End of submission: Sunday, 14th July, 2019.
- Please specify the name of the position applying for in the subject of the email.
- Candidates from local governorate are high encouraged to apply.
Thanks to note that only the persons who will be seen on tests/interviews will be contacted.