Ended Senior Liaison Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position : SENIOR LIAISON ASSISTANT
Organizational Unit : Project Development And Programmes Support (Liaison Unit)
Duty Station : Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification : G6
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2019-128
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Saturday 20, July 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Organizational Context and Scope:
The IOM mission in Yemen provides humanitarian support to vulnerable populations throughout the country; displaced persons, refugees/migrants and to communities in need of support. With offices in Sana’a, Hodeida and Aden, IOM engages with a variety of partners, authorities and stakeholders in order to meet mission goals.
Working under the overall supervision of the Head of Project Development and Program Support and the direct supervision of the National Liaison Officer and the Head of Sub Office, Aden, the Senior Liaison Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with IOM Yemen Sanaa Liaison and Coordination Unit, maintain regular communication with relevant authorities and stakeholders. Share feedback from meetings with IOM Senior Management and centralize meeting notes, circulars and relevant documentation appropriately.
- Communicate the requests and requirements from authorities in Aden to the relevant IOM counterparts. Suggest and support follow up meetings/engagement with appropriate authorities, senior management and technical colleagues where necessary.
- Serve as the Liaison Unit focal point for knowledge management; ensuring that original and copies of official documents are appropriately drafted, disseminated (referencing and tracking) and shared on common IOM Yemen mission platforms.
- Verify all Liaison Unit external communication follows mission standards for both protocols and style. Work closely with the translation assistant to ensure documents are professional and that the message conveyed is clear.
- Work closely with the Program Support and Resource Management Units to maintain harmonization of messaging on external documents, media/press releases and correspondence with authorities.
- Support administrative, programmatic and operational units on tasks requiring clearance or coordination with authorities. Maintain open communication with IOM teams to avoid contradictory messaging and to promote and monitor adherence to new regulations and protocols.
- Work with IOM Sana’a colleagues to provide weekly input into IOM Yemen internal situation reports to share unit priorities, challenges and to highlight issues requiring immediate action.
- Update and maintain the Liaison Unit action matrix and share weekly to follow up with relevant IOM team members.
- In coordination with the Liaison Officer and senior management, attend and notate relevant meetings, ensuring that draft notes are appropriately disseminated and stored.
- Serve as interpreter for Head of Sub-Office and senior management when necessary or for sensitive meetings with authorities.
- Undertake duty travel to IOM sub offices and field operations as necessary.
- Perform any other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in business law, political science, Translation, English Literature or related disciple;
- Minimum Six Years (Four years for holders of University Degree) in coordination and liaising with governments and other related areas, preferably within the United Nations or International Humanitarian Organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities; Professional Secretarial and Administrative Competency;
- Reporting Skills;
- Ability to pay dose attention to details and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent computer skills especially Ms Office and SAP.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability" to work effectively and harmoniously within a team
Languages: English and Arabic
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday 20th July, 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line “ SVN2019/128 Aden, Senior Liaison Assistant – G6 “
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Posting period: From 07.July.2019 to 20.July.2019