Child Protection & Child Right Governance Advisor
Child Protection & Child Right Governance Advisor -Sana’a
Save the Children is a dual mandate organization which seeks to make breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and make immediate and lasting change for children in all contexts.
In consultation and guidance of Director of Program Development and Quality, the Child Protection and Child Right Governance Advisor is responsible for providing technical and strategic guidance and oversight to the country office (CO) program in areas of Protection and Child right governance. Post holder should provides thematic Leadership and ensure all Protection programming is well monitored and is of excellent technical quality, attracts significant donor funding and contributes to national/global learning, advocacy and programme development. The post holder is expected to provide technical advice and support to project staff to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved. The post-holder shall also contribute to the development and/review of the country strategic direction and actively lead in the development of protection policy and programme formulation as ell protection mainstreaming.
S/he is expected to lead on developing Protection and Child Right Governance strategy and thematic plan, aligned with country strategic plan; sectoral assessment; program design, proposal writing and master budgeting; support and coordinate fund raising; provide strategic and technical guidance and oversight to the PMs and field teams; assist Field Managers (FMs) in recruitment and procurement in large complex emergencies; coordinate, represent and brand Save the Children (SC) in cluster, sub-cluster and other relevant forums. The CP & CRG Advisor is expected to play a leadership role within a response tea, through 360o support to colleagues and work to ensure that broader sector coordination mechanisms are functioning effectively. S/he promotes learning and accountability. In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or capacity-build both international and national staff colleagues.
The incumbent will strategically partner with Government and humanitarian counterparts on coordination, advocacy, the on-going development of child protection systems in Yemen and the current roll out of the minimum standards on child protection in humanitarian actions. She/he will represent Save the Children and its CP and CRG programs to donors, government counterparts and other key stakeholders at national, regional and global levels. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Strategy and thematic Leadership
- Develop and update CP & CRG strategy and thematic plan, Emergency preparedness plans, Master Budget in line with the country strategic plan and evolving context.
- Help shape broader sector strategies through influence of and leadership within inter-agency coordination forums, such as the Protection Cluster and other relevant sub-clusters, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed. This may involve taking on a co-chairing role where needs demand.
- Support development of broader sector strategies through proactive participation within inter-agency coordination forums, such as the Child Protection Cluster. This may involve taking on a co-chairing role where needs demand.
- Lead on technical visioning of new programs and proposals;
- Lead on review and implementation of CP and CRG priorities within the country strategic plan
- Help shape broader sector strategies through influence of and leadership within inter-agency coordination forums, such as the Protection cluster and its different working groups , ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed. This may involve taking on a co-chairing role where needs demand.
- Define annual programme framework and master budget for the country programme;
- Lead on technical visioning of new programs and proposals;
- Grow Save the Children’s Protection portfolio sustainably and strategically, consistent with the Country Strategy, Save the Children’s protection Breakthrough, and the needs of children in Yemen.
- Support and lead when neccssry the programme development for Protection in close coordination with Programme Managers and Field Managers, and proposal development, awards, finance and operations staff;
- Coordinate with proposal development team on identifying new opportunities;
- Work with colleagues from other sectors to coordinate on and integrate programming to ensure all children’s needs are met.
- Overall responsible to strengthen the CP system and ensure the programme quality of Save the Children’s CP/CRG programming;
- Work with the CP specialist on the development of tools to improve the quality of protection and empowerment activities. Provide technical training for project staff and partners as required
- Provide, or obtain from members/external sources, appropriate high level technical support on methods and practices to be rolled out within Protection / Emergency programming;
- Provide appropriate high level technical support on methods and practices to be rolled out within Child and youth protection / Emergency protection programming;
- Work closely with the HR team on identifying Child Protection staffing needs (both national and international) and ensure sufficient recruitment, induction and training of new staff
- Ensure all protection programme staff receive the necessary and appropriate technical support. In consultation with staff and project managers agree on the range of advice, support, training and/or other assistance required from you to facilitate high quality programming. This will involve regular visits to field sites.
- Support the CP specialist in develop learning and capacity building plans for both Save the Children and partner staff, based on identified professional and programmatic needs. Link capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities and networks on national, regional and global levels.
- Work with the Support the CP specialist to Coach and mentor Child Protection Managers and Program Officers
- Support the CP specialist to oversee development and delivery of technical training material that will improve aspects of Child Protection work within Save the Children and contribute to Child Protection work globally
Reporting , Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Build on technical knowledge, latest research in the sector and current/previous programming to develop proposals for new programming in close coordination with the programme staff
- Fulfil the Save the Children Global Initiative mandate including Save the Children requirements in reporting;
- Where external consultants are required to technically support or monitor and evaluate projects, lead the recruitment and subsequent management of contracted consultants as per the recruitment guidelines.
- Work with MEAL team throughout the process of lessons learning to ensure high quality CP and CRG programming, with support from the MEAL team, coordinating the documentation of said lessons across all the programmes;
- When needed, review relevant monitoring reports to ensure that technical debates are well articulated and reports are of acceptable quality before submission. Provide support where necessary to improve report writing skills. Lead in the evaluation and review process for all CP and CRG Projects including the development of Terms of Reference, selection and management of consultants.
- Lead the in –country innovation and learning agenda in CP and CRG and youth programming
- As a senior member of the Yemen Country Programme, demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
- Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment, characterized by enthusiasm, ambition, hard work and due process.
- Contribute to the wider country programme agenda.
- Participate actively in PDQ meetings, planning and review activities, providing enhanced insight into programming.
- Participate in any donor visit to project(s) within the country office portfolio, as required.
- Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children, in accordance with our Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Comply with and promote Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Internal (including Alliance): The post holder will be expected to work with senior management team, other sectoral Technical Advisors, Awards staff, Field Managers, Programme Managers & Coordinators;
- External: The post holder will be expected to develop and maintain personal links and effective relationships with the MOSAL, , donors and UN (especially UNICEF), NGOs, INGOs, Partners & key stake holders, counterparts, and other donors.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BA or BS plus extensive experience or Masters in in social sciences, children or human rights, or other relevant disciplines
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Substantial experience of working internationally in Child Protection programmes in both humanitarian and development context
- Proven experience working with national governments to build protection systems, and an advantage with this kind of knowledge from within the Middle East region.
- Demonstrated ability to set up learning and development procedures for a large Child Protection team
- Proven ability of mentoring, coaching and training on Child Protection related topics.
- Experience of senior level representation
- Experience of developing and negotiating successful partnerships with institutional donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills and good team player
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Fluency in written and spoken English; Arabic desirable
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and oral), and presentation skills
- Ability to manage stress, be flexible and accommodating in difficult working circumstances
- Ability to maintain consistent high standards of professional behaviour and achievement when working independently and as part of a team
- Prior experience with Save the Children strongly desired
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches.
Interest Candidates should apply through the bellow this Email:
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”
This position is open to Yemeni nationals only
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in Yemen All applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guardian Policy and Reference Checking Process.