Ended Administration & Liaison Assistant
ADMINISTRATION & LIAISON ASSISTANT
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (Diakonie Emergency Aid, DKH) Yemen Office
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH) is a German non-government organisation that renders humanitarian aid in 36 countries across the world. DKH supports people who are affected by natural disasters, war and displacement and who are not able to cope on their own in the emergency situation they find themselves in. The work is guided by the Humanitarian Principles and the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS). It is DKH's approach to work through a global network of partner organisations. DKH is part of the Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung e.V. (EWDE), one of the biggest welfare institutions in Germany.
DKH provides technical and other backstopping support to all partner organisations within its area of responsibility. It also continuously aims at increasing and further strengthening relations with local partners on the ground and building their capacities. For this purpose, in addition to project and program support, DKH has launched a partner-tailored regional Capacity Building programme, targeting all strategic partners.
PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
While DKH is not planning to directly implement humanitarian projects, it wants to ensure that the partner organisations in Yemen have the administrative and technical capacities to implement their projects and programmes according to highest quality standards possible. DKH wants to ensure that the humanitarian response in Yemen is meeting expectations in all relevant aspects, that DKH can fully rely on the partner organisations, and an added-value becomes visible through the own presence on the ground.
The Administration & Liaison Assistant is providing comprehensive secretarial and administrative support to the DKH-office. He/she is also responsible for day-to-day liaison with counterparts. The responsibilities require close coordination with finance, HR, and programme staff at the office level.
In June 2019, DKH has successfully registered in Yemen to work with government agencies, national partner organisations, and the wider humanitarian community to provide emergency response and resilience building initiatives across the country.
DKH is now implementing a pilot initiative for the provision of life-saving emergency response with selected civil society organisations in Yemen. DKH is operating from its offices in Sana’a and Aden.
DKH recognises that there is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas. Staff must comply with all DKH security policies and procedures. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Location: Aden, possibly with travels to cluster / humanitarian hub locations in accessible governorates and Sana’a.
Working under the supervision the Country Representative (until a Senior Country Administration and Liaison Officer is recruited), the following tasks shall be fulfilled:
DKH Office Administration
- Maintain all administrative related paper-based and electronic records, files, folders and documents in an accurate and orderly manner;
- Ensure the maintenance of the office services, and proper functioning of the Office's IT infrastructure;
- Keep an overview on all service contracts including, estate lease agreement, vehicle hire contracts, IT Services, consultancies, etc.;
- Maintain inventory and assets list to ensure proper documentation of DKH equipment;
- Assist staff to trouble shoot IT problems where possible, and seeking external help if required;
- Provide administration support to DKH staff as required.
Liaison & Networking
- Establish and maintain good relationships and a network of contacts with local authorities, counterparts, stakeholders and any relevant partners for collection of information, cooperation and coordination;
- Develop and updating networking list of contacts;
- Support all matters regarding official registration of DKH;
- Assist in obtaining visa, work and residence permits etc. for DKH-staff;
- Support non-Arabic speaking DKH-staff and visitors with translation and interaction with local authorities/actors.
- Provide support in Human Resource management to the Country Representative;
- Coordinate recruitment processes (job postings, screening of applications, contact with the candidates, interviews, test preparation and administrative follow up, as required).
Other tasks, as necessary
DKH reserves the right to alter the responsibilities according to operational and programmatic demands and needs in line with the objectives of the office.
QUALIFICATION, EXPERTISE AND SKILLS
- Relevant bachelor’s degree;
- Minimum 1 years of relevant work experience in related position, preferably with an NGO;
- Knowledge and experience working with authorities and external stakeholders and ability to network and build relations;
- Good language skills in English;
- Good computer skills (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Commitment to the values of Humanitarian sector, show high interest in working in this sector;
- Able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information;
- Willing to work additional hours in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Personal values: integrity, commitment, respect for diversity, patience, and sense of humour.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
DKH team members are expected to support all efforts for increased accountability towards the beneficiaries while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of projects.
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to:
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”