Ended Finance Assistant
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (Diakonie Emergency Aid, DKH) Yemen Office
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH) is a German non-government organisation that renders humanitarian aid in 36 countries across the world. DKH supports people who are affected by natural disasters, war and displacement and who are not able to cope on their own in the emergency situation they find themselves in. The work is guided by the Humanitarian Principles and the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS). It is DKH's approach to work through a global network of partner organisations. DKH is part of the Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung e.V. (EWDE), one of the biggest welfare institutions in Germany.
DKH provides technical and other backstopping support to all partner organisations within its area of responsibility. It also continuously aims at increasing and further strengthening relations with local partners on the ground and building their capacities. For this purpose, in addition to project and program support, DKH has launched a partner-tailored regional Capacity Building programme, targeting all strategic partners.
PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
While DKH is not planning to directly implement humanitarian projects, it wants to ensure that the partner organisations in Yemen have the administrative and technical capacities to implement their projects and programmes according to highest quality standards possible. DKH wants to ensure that the humanitarian response in Yemen is meeting expectations in all relevant aspects, that DKH can fully rely on the partner organisations, and an added-value becomes visible through the own presence on the ground.
The Finance Assistant leads or participates in the day-to-day operations of all finance matters to ensure that necessary resources are available to carry out operational and programme activities. He/she assists in the preparation and monitoring of project budgets of partner organisations. The responsibilities require close coordination with administration and programme staff at the office level.
In June 2019, DKH has successfully registered in Yemen to work with government agencies, national partner organisations, and the wider humanitarian community to provide emergency response and resilience building initiatives across the country.
DKH is now implementing a pilot initiative for the provision of life-saving emergency response with selected civil society organisations in Yemen. DKH is operating from its offices in Sana’a and Aden.
DKH recognises that there is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas. Staff must comply with all DKH security policies and procedures. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Location: Aden, possibly with travels to cluster / humanitarian hub locations in accessible governorates and Sana’a.
Working under the supervision the Country Representative (until a Senior Country Finance Officer is recruited), the following tasks shall be fulfilled:
DKH Office Financial Management and Coordination
Finance and Compliance
- Provide advice to the Country Representative on any specific issues related to finance processes (invoicing and payments with partners/HQ, compliant documentation etc.);
- Support and coordinate the annual operational budget of DKH in Yemen, and to submit financial reports (monthly, quarterly, annually) to DKH HQ on time;
- Prepare and review the financial statements for the annual external audit of the DKH Yemen operational budget;
- Develop schedules and supervise the completion of the annual external audit, and initiate actions necessary to correct identified weaknesses as outlined in the Management Letter.
- Assist the Country Representative in executing and continuously improving the DKH internal financial controls systems and procedures;
Accounting, Administration, Documentation
- Assist the Country Representative in controlling all financial, administrative and project related paper-based and electronic records, files, folders and documents in an accurate and orderly manner;
- Assist the Country Representative in supervising and auditing all payables and receivables accounting functions;
- Develop and continuously improve financial controls, processes and systems;
- Review and prepare expenses of DKH Yemen staff to Country Representative for approval;
- Ensure the accuracy of the cash in bank and petty cash.
DKH Program Support
- Support DKH programme staff in developing and revising finance plans;
- Support programme staff in planning and revising the operational and project budgets;
- Support DKH-program-staff in evaluating and revising the monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports;
- Provide feedback to DKH Programme about project(s)’s main financial stakes;
- Provide introduction and assistance to partners’ finance staff (DKH financial report format, monthly forecasts, fund request, finance-related HR, etc.).
- Receive and control (monthly) financial reports sent from partners (financial performance, variances with budget, format, cash in hands, remaining funds...);
- Monitor if partners are following finance and administrative requirements according to the Cooperation Agreement (fluctuation of exchange rate, correct use of funds, voucher’s features etc.);
- Inform and remind partners about financial deadlines (financial reports, requested funds expenditures, funds requests, audits in HQ, local audits etc.);
- Check accuracy and completeness of the final financial report;
- Develop schedules and supervise the completion of external audits;
- Check audit reports (reconciliation with financial report) and discuss the findings of the management letter.
Support to Partner Organisations
- Assist the Programme Officer in evaluating internal documentation (forms, procedures, policies) of the partners;
- Assist the Programme Officer in providing training on financial and compliance matters to partner organisations.
Risk Management & Compliance
- Flag potential areas of financial compliance vulnerability and risk to the Country Representative;
- Maintain oversight on due diligence in all aspects of the disbursements, receipts and management of financial resources including responsibility of internal control procedures and cash flow management;
- Assist the Country Representative in supervising the DKH-team to ensure correct and thorough application of accountancy procedures: filing of documents, allocation of expenses, vouchers registration, balance checking, etc.
Other tasks, as necessary
DKH reserves the right to alter the responsibilities according to programmatic demands and needs in line with the objectives of the office.
QUALIFICATION, EXPERTISE AND SKILLS
- Relevant university degree in finance, accounting or related subject;
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in finance-related position;
- Knowledge of Yemen’s finance rules and its legal environment;
- Good language skills in English;
- Strong knowledge in financial tools and management;
- Good computer skills (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Commitment to the values of Humanitarian sector, show high interest in working in this sector;
- Able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information;
- Willingness to work additional hours in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Proactively working with excellent problem-solving skills;
- Team player with outstanding personal attitude: especially sense of responsibility, diplomacy, concern for quality, result orientation;
- Outstanding personal values: integrity, commitment, respect for diversity, patience, and sense of humour.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
DKH team members are expected to support all efforts for increased accountability towards the beneficiaries while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of projects.
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to:
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”