Ended Security & Logistics Assistant
SECURITY & LOGISTICS ASSISTANT
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (Diakonie Emergency Aid, DKH) Yemen Office
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH) is a German non-government organisation that renders humanitarian aid in 36 countries across the world. DKH supports people who are affected by natural disasters, war and displacement and who are not able to cope on their own in the emergency situation they find themselves in. The work is guided by the Humanitarian Principles and the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS). It is DKH's approach to work through a global network of partner organisations. DKH is part of the Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung e.V. (EWDE), one of the biggest welfare institutions in Germany.
DKH provides technical and other backstopping support to all partner organisations within its area of responsibility. It also continuously aims at increasing and further strengthening relations with local partners on the ground and building their capacities. For this purpose, in addition to project and program support, DKH has launched a partner-tailored regional Capacity Building programme, targeting all strategic partners.
PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
While DKH is not planning to directly implement humanitarian projects, it wants to ensure that the partner organisations in Yemen have the administrative and technical capacities to implement their projects and programmes according to highest quality standards possible. DKH wants to ensure that the humanitarian response in Yemen is meeting expectations in all relevant aspects, that DKH can fully rely on the partner organisations, and an added-value becomes visible through the own presence on the ground.
Generally, the role of the Security & Logistics Assistant is to assist the Country Representative in ensuring the organisational security and the personal security of DKH-staff. He/she is supporting the coordination and implementation of security and logistics procedures and provides logistical support to the DKH-programme. Depending on the context and programme needs, the Security & Logistics Assistant is assisting in the set up / closing and/or regular running of the DKH-office including coordination of a logistics team (logistics, procurement, warehousing staff, drivers and guards) and security of the base as well as coordination with administration, HR, and programme staff on the office level.
In June 2019, DKH has successfully registered in Yemen to work with government agencies, national partner organisations, and the wider humanitarian community to provide emergency response and resilience building initiatives across the country.
DKH is now implementing a pilot initiative for the provision of life-saving emergency response with selected civil society organisations in Yemen. DKH is operating from its offices in Sana’a and Aden.
DKH recognises that there is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas. Staff must comply with all DKH security policies and procedures. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Location: Aden, with frequent travels to cluster / humanitarian hub locations in accessible governorates and Sana’a.
Working under the supervision the Country Representative the following tasks shall be fulfilled:
- Review and revise Health Safety and Security (HSS) plans and Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) for Aden in accordance with the DKH HSS Standard 2018;
- Conduct initial and regularly update security risk assessments for Aden and accessible governorates through travel and through access to information from professional networks (e.g. UNDSS, etc.);
- Consult and advise the Country Representative regarding all relevant HSS-issues;
- Advise on safety and security of infrastructure for all DKH-offices, installations and other premises;
- Conducting fire safety checks and drills, e.g. emergency evacuation training drills;
- Assist Country Representative in the maintenance of safety and security features/ systems and equipment (first aid, fire, evacuation equipment, energy backup, access control systems etc.);
- Recommend the allocation of Security Phases to DKH’S office and hubs where partners are operating;
- Assist in building HSS capacity for partner organisations through training;
- Act as DKH-focal point for Security Cluster coordination;
- Assist the Country Representative, in supervising staff compliance with the HSS plan.
- Submit visitor information prior to their arrival, and provide HSS-briefing for all visitors and new DKH-staff upon arrival;
- Conduct travel risk assessments, travel briefings, traveller monitoring and advising on travel risk mitigation for DKH-staff;
- Advise Country Representative on giving travel clearance and providing continuous security back-up during staff travels;
- Liaise with the partner organisations in order to reflect recommendations of evaluations as well as other lessons learnt and examples of good practice during the development of new programmes and projects.
- Assist Country Representative in managing the proper set up / rehabilitation / running of DKH-premises (office / guest house etc.);
- Assist Country Representative in the proper functioning of supply chain including procurement planning, purchasing of goods and services, their transport and storage;
- Liaise with logistics-related actors, services, and opportunities in the location;
- Evaluate and report the need and ensure the proper use of DKH-equipment;
- Ensure the proper function of all means of communication at DKH-premises as well as of field equipment;
- In close coordination with DKH-programme, ensure that all DKH procurement procedures, obligations of the Cooperation Agreement and respective donor regulations applicable to projects implemented by the partner organizations are closely followed.
Support to Partner Organizations
- Assess on the spot the security systems, policies and procedures in place of partner organisations;
- Support training and development of HSS plans and HSS Management.
QUALIFICATION, EXPERTISE AND SKILLS
- At least 3 years of experience in security and logistics management in the field of humanitarian assistance;
- University degree (or comparable work experience) in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of and skills in security procedures, analysis of incidents and trends in local and regional security context, assessment and mitigation of risk;
- Knowledge of procurement rules and regulations of back donors, especially ECHO and German Federal Foreign Office;
- Experience in working through local partner organizations based on equal partnership principle and in providing them technical and other backstopping support;
- Good understanding of humanitarian principles and other key principles of international NGOs including accountability, impartiality, neutrality, independence;
- Languages: Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic. German is a strong asset;
- Proactively working with excellent problem-solving skills;
- Team player with outstanding personal attitude: especially sense of responsibility, diplomacy, concern for quality, result orientation;
- Outstanding personal values: integrity, commitment, respect for diversity, patience, and sense of humour.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
DKH team members are expected to support all efforts for increased accountability towards the beneficiaries while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of projects.
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to:
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”