Ended Representation & Coordination Officer
REPRESENTATION / COORDINATION OFFICER
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (Diakonie Emergency Aid, DKH) Yemen Office
Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH) is a German non-government organisation that renders humanitarian aid in 36 countries across the world. DKH supports people who are affected by natural disasters, war and displacement and who are not able to cope on their own in the emergency situation they find themselves in. The work is guided by the Humanitarian Principles and the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS). It is DKH's approach to work through a global network of partner organisations. DKH is part of the Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung e.V. (EWDE), one of the biggest welfare institutions in Germany.
DKH provides technical and other backstopping support to all partner organisations within its area of responsibility. It also continuously aims at increasing and further strengthening relations with local partners on the ground and building their capacities. For this purpose, in addition to project and program support, DKH has launched a partner-tailored regional Capacity Building programme, targeting all strategic partners.
PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
While DKH is not planning to directly implement humanitarian projects, it wants to ensure that the partner organisations in Yemen have the administrative and technical capacities to implement their projects and programmes according to highest quality standards possible. DKH wants to ensure that the humanitarian response in Yemen is meeting expectations in all relevant aspects, that DKH can fully rely on the partner organisations, and an added-value becomes visible through the own presence on the ground.
In close coordination with the DKH office in Aden, the Representation/Coordination Officer is representing DKH in the capital of Sana’a and accessible governorates. He/she plays a key role in supporting DKH programming as well as the effective implementation of partners’ projects in Yemen.
In June 2019, DKH has successfully registered in Yemen to work with government agencies, national partner organisations, and the wider humanitarian community to provide emergency response and resilience building initiatives across the country.
DKH is now implementing a pilot initiative for the provision of life-saving emergency response with selected civil society organisations in Yemen. DKH is operating from its offices in Sana’a and Aden.
DKH recognises that there is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas. Staff must comply with all DKH security policies and procedures. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Location: Sana’a, with frequent travels to cluster / humanitarian hub locations in accessible governorates and Aden.
The Representation/Coordination Officer is working under the supervision of the Country Representative. He / she has to fulfil the following tasks or to contribute in a substantial manner:
Representation & Visibility
- Represent DKH with national and international actors;
- Work with formal and informal governance structures and representatives, maintain and develop relevant and productive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
Liaison & Networking
- Establish and maintain good relationships and a network of contacts with the local authorities, counterparts, stakeholders and any relevant partners for collection of information, cooperation and coordination;
- Develop and update networking list of contacts;
- Assist in obtaining visa, travel permits etc. for DKH-staff;
- Support non-Arabic speaking DKH-staff and visitors with translation and interaction with local authorities/actors.
Operational & Office
- Ensure that the registration of DKH is being renewed, if necessary, and that all reporting or other requirements towards the local authorities are being met;
- Provide a monthly report to the DKH Country Representative.
- Support the setting-up of a fully-fledged DKH office in Sana’a, incl. renting of office space, and the procurement of equipment and services.
Programme & Quality
- Follow up that partner organisations are planning and implementing in coordination with national and cluster coordination bodies, and projects are included/reported in the 3W database of UN-OCHA;
- Follow up that topics and quality aspects in which DKH is specialised or is planning to enhance its expertise/portfolio are fully reflected in the cooperation with the partner organisations and their projects/programmes;
- Follow up that projects are able to meet donor and DKH-internal obligations on scope, time, and budget;
- Strengthen relations with local partner organisations and following-up that individual Capacity Building Plans are developed for each partner;
Other tasks, as necessary
DKH reserves the right to alter the responsibilities according to operational and programmatic demands and needs in line with the objectives of the office.
QUALIFICATION, EXPERTISE AND SKILLS
- Relevant bachelor or university degree;
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in related position, preferably with a NGO;
- Knowledge and experience working with authorities and external stakeholders and ability to network and build relations;
- Very good language skills in English;
- Very good computer skills (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Commitment to the values of Humanitarian sector, show high interest in working in this sector;
- Able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information;
- Willingness to work additional hours in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Personal values: integrity, commitment, respect for diversity, patience, and sense of humour.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
DKH team members are expected to support all efforts for increased accountability towards the beneficiaries while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of projects.
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to:
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”