Ended Protection Officer
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Protection Officer will support the integration of NRC’s Protection Policy and core protection principles across NRC’s response in Yemen and lead the implementation of all protection-specific activities in the Hajjah program.
- Working closely with the Protection Senior Officer, ICLA and all Core Competency Coordinators, the Protection Officer will carry out protection-related programming, and work to strengthen all NRC programs by building the capacity of the team to integrate protection within all programmes. The Protection Officer will be responsible for developing the capacities of protection mainstreaming focal points in the emergency response teams in the area office, coordinating the collection of relevant information and increasing the awareness of NRC’s staff about ways in which to promote the safety and dignity of all people assisted by NRC programmes. The Protection Officer in this role will particularly be dedicated to ensuring multi-sector response for new displacement in Hajjah, overseeing a field team and Assistant to ensure referrals to existing services and highlighting gaps in services for Cluster-based advocacy to improve the response.
- Strong experience working in protection in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Map relevant humanitarian needs and design appropriate response activities.
- Prepare and develop status reports in English.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to improve response.
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Self-motivated, passionate and ready to inspire others on NRCs mandate and our work in protection and advocacy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A university degree in social work, social science, political science or related subject.
- Fluency in English and Arabic required.
- At least 3 years’ experience in working in a protection-related field with a demonstrated understanding of humanitarian principles and minimum protection standards, humanitarian coordination mechanisms, applying protection standards to vulnerable communities, referral services and protection service delivery, including protection monitoring.
- A well-developed understanding of gender-based violence and projects that respond to it.
- Experience undertaking assessments and supporting others to do so.
- Very good writing skills to enable the preparation of relevant reports, case studies and tools that document protection-related issues.
- Experience in mainstreaming protection concepts within a humanitarian operation.
- Implement standalone protection activities including protection monitoring, strengthening community-based mechanisms and specialised service provision as relevant, with a particular focus on preventing and addressing gender-based violence.
- Lead and supervise protection assistant and field teams with a focus on ensuring protection is a strong, evidence-based element of NRC’s program.
- Implement protection assessments and protection monitoring activities and lead emergency protection field visits.
- Participate in the design, delivery, reporting and monitoring of protection projects.
- Help design and deliver capacity building activities to build the capacity of field staff to understand and deliver safe programming, based on NRC’s Protection Policy and training materials.
- Represent NRC at relevant protection coordination meetings, events and forums, and take an active role in advocating key protection issues affecting displacement-affected communities.
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Any other tasks as identified by management.
- Social science
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Academy college / University
- Diplomatic and able to conduct discussions on sensitive topics wit diverse groups.
- Ability to mentor and support other colleagues in relation to protection mainstreaming.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision in a challenging environment.
- Pro-active, goal-oriented and results driven.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to deliver lively training in English/Arabic.
- Ability to multitask and work with short deadlines.
- Flexibility and ability to work overtime according to need and requests.
- Professionalism and time management.
- Planning and delivering results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- Handling insecure environment.
- 12 months (with possibility of extension based on funding / Performance)
- Travel: Approx. 150 days travel
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: