Ended Logistics Officer
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO - WFP/YEM/2019/JA3 (106033)
Organizational Unit: WFP Yemen Country
Functional Title: Logistics Officer
Functional Level: NOA
Duty Station: Aden, Yemen Unit: SC/Logistics/Transport
Contract Type and Duration: Fixed Term Service Contract for 1 year with possibility extension
Date of Issue: 7 July 2019
Closure Date: 21 July 2019
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving Lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
In 2019, WFP is scaling up its Yemen operations aiming to provide 12 million people with monthly food assistance through direct food distributions, vouchers or cash and nutritional support to nearly 3 million pregnant and nursing women and children under 5.
These jobs are likely to be found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs). In the field, role holders typically report to the Head of Field Office or the designate. In RBs and HQ, job holders report to a more senior Logistics Officer. Job holders are likely to be working closely with a more experienced professional staff member receiving guidance and regular feedback on work performed.
To collect, analyse and report on information to maximise efficiency of the logistics operations and activities.
1. Contribute towards the development of logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
2. Support logistics projects or operational day-to-day activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
3. Collect and analyse data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to the supervisor to improve performance of local logistics operations.
4. Conduct portions of financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to the supervisor to optimise use of available funds.
5. Guide support staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
6. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
7. Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (i.e. through contribution to the training materials).
8. Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
9. Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
10. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
11. Other as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Languages: Fluency (level C) in English AND Arabic languages.
Experience: 1 (one) or more years of relevant post-graduate work experience in Logistics, Supply Chain Operations or Management, General Food Distribution or Assistance, Transportation, Business Management, or other related field.
Administrative/Assistant/Secretariat work experience is not considered, except for years holding Associate positions or above (UN equivalent grade G-6 or above), in which case each year is counted at 50%
Citizenship: Only Yemeni citizens are eligible for this position.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience coordinating service providers’ contract execution.
- Experience arranging supplier deliveries and the discharge of WFP vessels (rail, air, or sea).
- Experience in evaluating offers and writing proposals.
- Experience in report writing.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
Supply Chain Management and Optimization
|Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.|
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution||Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.|
|Warehouse and Inventory Management||Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.|
|Technical Assistance and Coordination||Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.|
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only
- Indicate all your job TOR
- indicate clear years of experience with each job (Month/Year)
- WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP staff on FT contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another FT position.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
21 July 2019
Female applicants especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
To apply for this job, please visi the following link: