Protection Field Officer
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of war and armed violence. Please visit www.icrc.org for more information.
The ICRC is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of:
Protection Field Officer 1
Contract type : Open Ended
Level of Post : B2
Number of Posts : 1 Post
Duty Station : Sa’ada
The Sa’ada Sub-Delegation covers Sa’ada, Amran and Hajja governorates. The Protection Field Officer will be part of the Protection team of the Sub-Delegation, which consists of two Field Officers and the Field Delegate. The Field Officer supports the Field Delegate with the implementation of ICRC Protection Activities. The Protection department is mainly concerned with the Protection of the Civilian Population, the Restoring Family Links, and the Detention files. The Protection team is based in Sa’ada but is expected to conduct field trips as well as be willing to commit to several overnight stays within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The Protection Field Officer is expected to support the Field Delegate with the following files and tasks:
Protection of the Civilian Population (PCP) File
- Reports incidents that constitute a violation of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and follows up accordingly;
- Supports the Field Delegate in documenting PCP cases;
- Supports the Field Delegate in disseminating the ICRC mandate and activities during field trips and meetings;
- Contributes to the organisation of PCP/IHL sessions, workshops, and roundtables for the protection actors, the authorities, and other interlocutors;
- Joins multidisciplinary visits with other departments to conduct protection assessment of affected population/civilian objects.
Restoring Family Links (RFL) File
- Supports the Field Delegate in disseminating the ICRC mandate as well as the RFL services it provides during field trips and meetings;
- Collects RFL requests;
- Follows-up with the concerned families and authorities;
- Provides remote support to ICRC detention visits.
- Collects, analyses and reports information relevant to ICRC Protection activities from national and international media outlets and discusses the necessary follow-up with the Field Delegate;
- Contributes proactively to an up-to-date context analysis of the humanitarian, security and political situation in the AoR, and reports to the Field Delegate accordingly;
- Contributes to the required operational reporting in his areas of expertise and responsibility;
- Participates actively in weekly and ad hoc meetings;
- Provides analytical insights on security and humanitarian topics for his AoR;
- Contributes to specific reports when necessary.
Interpretation and Translation
- Interprets in a nuanced manner from English to Arabic and vice versa during field visits and meetings;
- Translates documents from English to Arabic and vice versa as required;
- Registers and treats information accurately and with confidentially.
- Internally, the Protection FO interacts with its ICRC colleagues at the Sa’ada Sub-Delegation level.
- Externally, the Protection FO supports the Field Delegate and Management to establish, develop, and maintain a strong network of external interlocutors relevant to Protection activities in the AoR, including civil and security authorities, tribal, religious and community leaders, YRCS, and other humanitarian actors.
- University degree or relevant professional experience
- Excellent level of English (written and spoken)
- Computer literacy (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Google Earth, Data management tools)
Professional Experience Required
- At least 2 years of professional experience is required
- Previous experience in the humanitarian sector is desired
Skills and Competencies
- Analytical skills
- Reporting skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Networking skills
- Diplomacy skills
- People management
- Team work & Collaboration
- Representing the ICRC
- Beneficiary & Client focused
Interested candidates should send the following:
- A letter of motivation, which outlines your interest in this particular position as well as an overview of how your skills and experience match the requirements described above.
- A detailed C.V. in English
Please send your applications (by email to: email@example.com indicating in the subject line: Protection Field Officer
Applications with no clear indication of the subject will not be considered
Deadline to send your application: 31.07.2019