The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving Lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
In 2019, WFP is scaling up its Yemen operations aiming to provide 12 million people with monthly food assistance through direct food distributions, vouchers or cash and nutritional support to nearly 3 million pregnant and nursing women and children under 5.
To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP shipping operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 3 or more years of relevant work experience with an advanced educational degree in a relevant area of expertise OR 5 or more years of relevent experience with a first university degree with relevant years of experience
(Administrative/Assistant/Secretariat work experience is not considered, except for years holding Associate positions or above (UN equivalent grade G-6 or above), in which case each year is counted at 50%).
- Fluency in English (level C written and spoken).
- Fluency in Arabic (level C written and spoken).
- Yemeni citizenship.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only
- Indicate all your job TOR
- indicate clear years of experience with each job (Month/Year)
- WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP staff on FT contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another FT position.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Consolidate and plan Yemen Ports shipments, manage operational aspects of chartered and liner vessels, cargoes in line with the agreed concept of operation .
- Manage the operational aspects of all chartered vessels carrying organisation commodities, including loading and discharging operations and the contracting of stevedoring services.
- Supervise and insure proper and timely instruction are given to a network of Charterer's Protecting Agents at load and discharge ports in accordance with the agreed terms and conditions of the charter party and provide advice to the organisation appointed agents and the country offices as required.
- Supervise the performance of organisation appointed shipping and forwarding agents, stevedores and other ancillary contractors at Yemen ports.
- Design, plan and lead implementation of innovative shipping operations and initiatives to ensure timely, efficient and cost-effective delivery of food assistance to Yemen beneficiaries.
- Liaise with other donors and relief agencies involved in food aid ocean transport operations.
- Prepare and maintain statistical reports on shipping and chartering information. analyse data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of local shipping operations.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimise use of available funds.
- Contribute to consolidation and preparation of operational pipeline planning, and to the management of operational aspects of the supply chain (procurement, shipping, port operation), including checking document and customs clearance readiness, loading and discharging operations, milling , transportation ..etc
- Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other CO unit/ services, divisions, particularly for emergency response.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of shipping activities that enables informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
- Identify and build productive relationships with Supply chain colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Collect and share all needed data related to Yemen port which are related to revising LCA & CONOPS.
- Assist in contingency planning and preparedness reviews in relation to shipping / port operations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization for Shipping||Identifies opportunities for improved coordination and appropriately engages with upstream and/or downstream actors to solve bottlenecks. Demonstrates an understanding of industry Supply Chain best practices to establish a continuous process of optimization and improvement.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Demonstrates the ability to design and manage the full lifecycle of project management, including planning, engaging with partners and key stakeholders, budgeting, strategically allocating material and human resources, implementation and reporting.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Ability to proactively identify gaps in information and findings, analyse and evaluate information, develop statistics, and translate into information management products to facilitate decision making and demonstrate performance.|
|Shipping Market Analysis, Contracting & Operational Execution||Utilizes market research and analysis to negotiate and conclude large contractual agreements with third parties; manages implementation with commercial actors in a way that mitigates risk, incentivizes optimal performance, ensures close coordination with other S/C actors and achieves defined goals.|
|Shipping Performance Monitoring & Quality Control||Develops and enforces standards within own region/ transportation modality that ensure all shipping processes are carried out in accordance with quality standards and minimize losses.|
|Specialized Technical Knowledge in Shipping||Demonstrates ability to contribute to advancements in the field of sea-based supply chain management and on-time delivery of shipments to beneficiary regions through effective utilization of WFP’s extensive network of ports, vessels, and service partners.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
1. Experience in the UN system
2.Familiarity with humanitarian pipeline management.
3.Familiarity with port operation , customs clearance and Yemen slandered rules and regulation .
4.Previous experience in emergency operation.
To view the job description and apply to the mentioned vacancies, please go to the link below:
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account (if you do not already have one)