WASH Engineer – Hodeida
Save the Children International (SCI) Yemen Country Program has an annual budget of around USD 70 million and growing, working mainly on the humanitarian response to the ongoing conflict and its impact including more recently on the cholera outbreak. The SCI Yemen has over 700 staff and 1500 volunteers and works in nine governorates in the north and south of the country through seven field offices and two sub-offices in addition to the main office in Sana’a.
Provide support and engineering expertise for the successful and timely completion of works related to rehabilitation, construction and reparation of WATSAN facilities in selected sites within the project areas. The WASH engineer will ensure implementation and successful completion of a WASH related construction/rehabilitation project or components in the field office and the surrounding geographic coverage’s managed through this office. He/she will be overseeing implementation of the hardware (water and sanitation) component parts of WASH with special focus on sanitation components in health facilities and managing and implementing the software (hygiene promotion) component parts of WASH.
The WASH engineer will be working within the frame work of Save the Children’s programming principles and approaches drawn on relevant best practices and lessons learned, work towards enabling children to attain their rights, while compliant with donor regulations. As part of Save the Children’s dual mandate, the WASH engineer will participate in emergency preparedness activities and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency, as required.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Advise the WASH managers on the development and maintenance/repair of WASH infrastructures.
- In collaboration with the WASH manager, assess the WATSAN facilities for rehabilitation requirements.
- In association with relevant experts from government offices, perform WASH related development studies and conduct design review as required.
- Perform water resources development studies and conduct design review as required.
- Review and conduct detail investigation on water resource development projects siteshealth insurance scheme, providing reports to Head Office. Ensure confidentiality is maintained in regard to all sensitive personnel data.
- Prepare detailed bill of quantities(BoQs), specification ,drawings and cost estimate for the construction/Rehabilitation works required at the water resources, sanitation, education , hygiene and health facilities , based on assessment and program requirements, ensuring that recommended work is child-friendly and within the minimum SPHERE standard.
- Draw up and review works tender documents both for design and construction of WASH Facilities and provide technical support to Bid Committees.
- Conduct close field supervision to ensure that the implementation of WASH facilities are in line with the plan, timeline, design, available standards, approved BOQs, community needs and donors requirement.
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship
- Ensure that variations are approved by WASH manager according to SC procedures before giving work order to the contractor.
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin.
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones, and provide report to WASH manager so payment to contractors can be processed
- Develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central .
- Seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages; especially at the start and completion.
- Ensure the Contractor is compliant with Statutory Law and SC safety and security protocols on all construction/rehab sites.
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff on how to use and maintain the WATSAN facilities.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental). Build strong relationship with local and government partners, Local Water and Sanitation Company, GARWP (the General Authority for Rural Water Projects and Sa’ada Water Cooperation.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- Reporting monthly, quarterly and annually of the project implementation progress.
- As required, support emergency planning processes and response in regards to WASH.
- Ensure that resources assigned to him are properly and efficiently utilized.
- Review MOU and construction agreements in accordance with the policy of the organization.
- University Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or Architecture or relevant disciplines, or equivalent field experience.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 3 years of experience in planning and implementation of small scale construction works, mainly community based water and sanitation or related works.
- Experience in supervision of contractors and contract administration.
- Effective use of computers – Word and Excel and design & drawing software.
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Good knowledge of safety standards and legislation related to construction and rehabilitation in Yemen
- A good team worker willing to learn from others, listen and provide sound technical advice on construction that will benefit children
- Strong organizational and planning skills with good communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- English as well as strong Arabic skills, written and spoken
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in Yemen
All applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guardian Policy and Reference Checking Process.
Interested candidates should submit their application through WASH Engineer 3
please mention the Job title and Location in the subject of the applicants email.
The deadline for receiving applications is 18/07/2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted