Ended National Expert on Seed Policy
Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations
Terms of Reference for Consultant : PSA
Minimum number of years of relevant experience required: 5yrs
Job Title: National expert on seed policy
Programme/Project Number: TCP/YEM/3702
Location: Sana’a and Aden
Expected Start Date of Assignment: 01/08/2019
Title: National Consultant
General Description of task(s) and objectives to be achieved
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the project budget holder, the international technical expert supervision will undertake the following duties:
- Define the context: problem analysis and identification of key policy issues
- Liaise and coordinate with key stakeholders involved in the seed sector for the collection of seeds policies information
- Arrange workshops to discuss the scope and objectives of the project, present the proposed work plan and designating the responsibilities of concerned stakeholders
- Review all existing policies and regulations regarding the Seed policy and other legislation related to it.
- Convene a national seed forum as part of the consultation process.
- Prepare the draft final version for seed quality control including the highest and lowest levels of standards (Basic Seed, Registered Seed and Certified Seed) for cereals, legumes, and vegetables.
- Prepare the draft/final version of report for criteria of seed quality included examining of seed borne diseases. based on extensive inspection and analyses activities
- Develop the legislations on seed quality control to be presented for discussion and review leading to the preparation of an endorsed final version.
- Prepare the seeds certification system in consultation with MAI certification and administration department.
- Develop a document for the structure, organization and content of the seeds policy that is short and clear; with a logical and coherent structure and organization of contents that makes it consistent and easy to use.
- Prepare different formats, records, forms for registration of crop varieties along with the mechanisms and procedures required to be used on different steps of seed quality control.
- Conduct validation workshops with concerned line-ministries in the two regions for final validation of the seed policy
- Prepare the final version of seed policy legislations to be submitted to authorized stakeholders for the completion of required legal procedures to get new laws/legislations approved and issued.
- Assess and participate in strengthening the institutional capacity and linkage of GSMC and AREA/Genetic Resource Centre.
- Prepare technical reports of the activities, progress and mission reports, and assist in the preparation of the final country report at the end of the project as required
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced University Degree in plant protection preferably in Agriculture, crop production or any other related field
- At least five-year experience in seeds production and policies;
- Field experience in seeds quality control;
- Knowledge or experience in the field of project implementation is preferred.
- Good working language English and Arabic.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English.
- The incumbent must possess teamwork spirit, ability to work under minimum supervision, flexibility
- Ability to keep sensitive and personal information as confidential.
- Capacity to take initiative, and suggest modifications in the process
Interested candidates must fill a Personal History form (attached) and must create below table and put it as a covering page to the email application.
Relevant experience (in 10 bullet points max, 100 words max)
Motivation for the position (in 30 words max)
- Project-based post
Completed Personal History form should be submitted along with a motivation letter by e-mail to the below email address.
The email subject line should clearly indicate Name, Title and location of the position of this vacancy announcement.
Applications missing any of the above elements, and not duly completed, will unfortunately not be considered.
- Only candidates that comply with the above will be taken into account.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.