Ended Shelter Officer (2)
Shelter Officer (2)
ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Hodeidah, Raymah, Ibb, Ad-Dhalee, Saadah and Al Jawf.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g. distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g. income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g. rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
Position: Two Shelter Officers (2)
Contract Type: Fixed term
Contract Duration: 6 months, renewable
Assessment and implementation
- Under the guidance of the Shelter & WASH Engineer, assist with assessments of shelters and physical infrastructure needs in IDP sites as required
- Assist with the site supervision and monitoring of contractors and/or daily labour work teams during installation and rehabilitation and maintenance works, ensuring quality and timely implementation
- Contribute to the development and design of plans for each site, coordinating with ACTED CCCM and WASH teams as required by the Shelter & WASH Engineer
Community Engagement and Outreach
- Ensure consultation with community representatives (including women) – in collaboration with CCCM team – during assessment, design, and planning phases
- Oversee formation, capacity building and engagement with Community Committees responsible for operation and maintenance of infrastructure, if relevant, agreeing with the community the responsibilities of the members, and providing any support required for Committees to fulfil their duties
- For transitional shelter activities, work closely with communities and families on design of shelters and on community-led or community-monitored construction, including delivering training where appropriate, under guidance of the Shelter & WASH Engineer
Project management & reporting
- Support the development of weekly and monthly project work plans for the team, and follow up to ensure targets are met
- Contribute to updates and reports on project progress, proactively flag problems and challenges to Shelter & WASH Engineer and/or Deputy Project Manager
- Develop and submit accurate, quality order forms and Bill of Quantities for works, in line with project budget requirements, in a timely manner
- Support Logistics Department in technical review of bids by suppliers or contractors
- Support basic logistics tasks as needed, including completion of Project section of stock documents, as directed by Area Logistics Officer
- Support the Shelter & WASH Engineer with shelter and infrastructure-related project expenses and forecasting
- Manage Shelter Assistants (if any) and provide oversight of daily labourers, including preparation of weekly work plans and quality control / checking of outputs
Transparency and Compliance
- Implement activities in compliance to ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures
- Contribute to accurate record keeping of project documentation in soft and hard copy
- Consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities
- Promote and adhere to ACTED’s Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies, and any codes of conduct in place in IDP sites
- Ensure participation and inclusion of women, youth, people with specific needs, and marginalised groups in all aspects of programming
- Perform any additional task as requested by the line manager
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience)
- University degree in Engineering or other relevant field
- At least 1 years’ experience implementing construction projects, or implementing emergency humanitarian shelter and/or infrastructure response
- Ability to supervise team members and plan and manage team workloads;
- Excellent team-working and communication skills;
- Strong written and spoken Arabic and English skills
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV and a cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail:
- Shelter Officer - Aden and rename your CV as First & Last name + Shelter Officer-Aden if you are applying for Aden.
- Shelter Officer - Aldhalee and rename your CV as First & Last name + Shelter Officer-Aldhalee if you are applying for Aldhalee.
- The closing date for applications is Thursday, 1 August, 2019.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, interviews would be on a rolling basis and candidates may be identified before the closing date
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed in regard to this job will result in disqualification