Ended Senior Safety and Security Officer
Job Title: Senior Safety and Security Officer
Department: Security & Liaison
Reports To: Security & Liaison Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year, multi-million US Dollar, a community-led program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities (GC) in seven governorates in Yemen (tentatively in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, Taiz, Sana’a, Ibb, and Dhamar). The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion and promote the peaceful resolution of differences. To reach its goal, YCST will engage communities in an inclusive approach through Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) Mode to identify and implement service delivery and conflict mitigation projects, build the capacity of formal and informal local leaders, organizations, and networks to serve as neutral arbitrators and peace builders that can meet community and constituent needs that will serve to reduce localized conflicts, and provide stability. The program will also carry out regular and action-oriented learning and contextual analysis across all interventions to support adaptive management and enhanced outcomes.
The overal responsiblity of Senior Security Officer will produce safety and security reports utilizing traditional and social media, attend humanitarian security meetings and will liaise with external sources and experts, ıdentify using and effectively managing a network of security alerts to ensure the safety and security of all staff members, help in building Global Communities communication network regarding activities in the area of operation including doing visits inside Yemen (not more than 25% of work days).
Senior Security Officer reports to the Security Manager .
The Senior Security Officer is responsible for the following:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of innovative security solutions. This could include but not be limited to workshop formats, scenario forecasting, use of IT and graphic design tools to apply technology in our deliverables all with the aim to make our offering as appealing and accessible to staff members as possible.
- Identify and evaluate new methodologies, technologies and organizations who could contribute to the security department and implimented activities.
- Conduct routin and ad-hoc security, conflict resolution and peacebuilding analyses of communities in the area of intervention.
- Analyze the implications of the various conflict, peace, security, stability factors over the related activities.
- Develop and maintain contacts and sustained networking with key actors in the programs’ operational areas.
- Support the Supervisor in the conduct of required security assessments/evaluations, threat analysis, and risk assessments and offer appropriate recommendations.
- Liaise on a regular basis with counterparts in similar positions across the group to share and obtain knowledge, best practices that could help improve the organization security readiness.
- Ensure adherence to Global Communities safety & security SOP’s at the border and in the activities area.
- Doing a full assessment of the projects and offices locations from perspective of safety and security requirements and regulations
- Conduct a regular inspections to the safety and security measures of projects and offices locations and report any notifications to the supervisor.
- Stop any unsafe work.
- Investigate all accidents and identifying measures to prevent their recurrence in the future
- Identify capacity-building needs and provide peacebuilding training to staff, beneficiaries, key stakeholders and partners, as necessary
- Follow up on all administrative issues related to the safety and security department.
- As instructed by supervisor, assist in producing standard operation procedures.
- Any other task, which your supervisor requests of you.
Education & Training
A university degree in a relevant field or a combination of experience and education working in this sector
- General knowledge of accepted safety practices and principles
- General knowledge of the local traditions and social structur
- A minimum of 2 year experience in an NGO or private company with conflict management, operational security, Social Cohesion, Peacebuilding or similar work.
- Past work experience in written security and conflict analyzing reports.
- Past work with an international donor funded program desirable, but not required
- High analytical and reporting skills.
- Team player with excellent planning skills
- Ability to solve problems in the field with all actors
- Computer/word processing and standard office software skills.
- Familiar with Maps creating and google earth application is also desirable, but not required
Good Command of spoken and written English.
From May 2019 until August 15, 2021.
- Application should consist of a one-page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. The cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the YCST program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, selection processes would be on a rolling basis