Ended Project Manager
Job Title: Project Manager – Yemen
Location: Aden- with regular travel to project locations
Reporting to: Programme Manager
Key Relationships: Finance and Operations staff, Project partners, MENA Programme team
Salary range: Competitive INGO Salary
Description of Saferworld and Yemen programme:
Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security. We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others.
The Yemen Programme was established in 2010. We currently have three core areas of work in Yemen:
- Youth, Peacebuilding and Governance. Working with youth groups on local level peacebuilding initiatives in Yemen and the establishment of inclusive, fair and transparent governance systems.
- Gender, Peace and Security. Working with local and national activists to address women’s safety and security concerns as well as looking at security provision for women and women’s role in peacebuilding.
- Community Peacebuilding. Working with communities to mitigate the impact of conflict and improve local resilience, including through better local governance.
The programme seeks to achieve change in these three areas through working with local communities and initiatives, national civil society and government stakeholders and international actors, including linking local voices and needs to national and international forums.
The Yemen country office is part of the Saferworld MENA programme, with staff in London and partners across the MENA region.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the successful delivery of the Enhancing Mechanisms for Peacebuilding in Yemen. The project works with communities, coordinates Yemeni and international NGOs focused on peacebuilding in Yemen.
Roles and responsibilities:
1.Programme management, quality and impact
- Manage the overall delivery of the programme in accordance with the programme document and ensure contractual compliance, including overseeing progress of the overall work plan.
- Ensure the programme’s partnerships are managed in line with Saferworld’s partnership approach, including identifying how the programme can contribute to partners’ organisational development aspirations.
- Identify areas where additional inputs are needed to ensure high quality programming, ensuring that relevant technical expertise and capacity strengthening support is available to staff and partners.
- Ensure an overall monitoring and evaluation plan is in place for the programme and implemented
2. Financial management and financial and narrative reporting
- Exercise overall responsibility for financial management of the programme. Ensure that all activities and expenditure are conducted within budget allocations.
- Monitor programme expenditure, prepare budget revisions and forecasts, review monthly financial data, oversee partner financial reporting and ensure timely financial reporting to the Yemen finance team and the donor, in coordination with the London-based MENA Grants Manager.
- Contribute to narrative reporting to donors, including coordinating reporting by partners and consolidating overall reports.
3. Contribute to wider strategy and programme development
- In collaboration with other Yemen and London-based staff, contribute to the implementation of the Yemen country strategy and the development of annual strategic objectives.
- Ensure that programme activities are well-documented and that analysis and learning are shared within Saferworld, with partners and external stakeholders, including for advocacy purposes
Safety and security
- Together with the team, contribute to the monitoring of risks to the safety of staff and to the programme.
Responsabilities might change depending on changing priorities.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in international development, peacebuilding, civil society or related issues.
- Experience in project management, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience of security and risk management
- Ability to work on his/her own, with proven track record of working effectively as part of a team
- Experience of making logistical arrangements including preparing budgets for events
- Experience in coordinating community safety and peacebuilding projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social sciences or related area of studies
- A good understanding of peacebuilding and conflict prevention issues in Yemen, including conflict dynamics and actors, key political, social and economic issues, and peacebuilding/conflict prevention measures, including the role of various regional and international actors.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Good communication skills, written and oral;
- A positive problem-solving approach;
- Enthusiasm to learn and apply new skills;
- Good interpersonal communication and team-working skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Expertise on security and justice, conflict and development issues
- Expertise on research and analytical skills
- Facilitation or training skills
Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of position: This is a national position.
Probation: There will be a probationary period of 3 months
Holidays: There are 30 days leave a year (Jan-Dec) in addition to Yemen public holidays
Salary range: A competitive INGO salary will be offered
Hours: Standard working week is 37.5 hours
Travel: Frequent travel communities in the project areas, dependent on security conditions; occasional
International travel for trainings and regional planning meetings
Please send a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application can be downloaded from the link below:-
Please use subject heading Ref: YPM-Aden
Unfortunately, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send your CV as this will NOT be considered in place of, or as well as a completed application form