Ended Project Manager
Project Manager (Aden)
Middle East & North Africa (MENA) - Aden, Yemen
We are Searchers.
We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict.
It’s our purpose- our call to action.
A Searcher understands our vision of a world where:
Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence
Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm
A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values.
Shared Humanity. Empathy. Impartiality. Inclusivity. Courage. Hope. Humility. Audacity.
With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
We are searching for…
The Project Manager will be responsible for a new project in Yemen titled “Advancing Local Governance in Southern Yemen” implemented in three governorates of Yemen and funded by the Government of the Netherlands. The program aims to support inclusive and accountable local level governance structures in Abyan, Aden, and Lahj (one district per governorate, total three districts). This will be achieved through (i) empowering communities and governance structures to constructively address conflict through the use of locally-led dialogue processes, and (ii) fostering trust between local communities and governance structures through inclusive and participatory decision-making mechanisms
The activities include implementing community dialogue processes, training of trusted local mediators, and community-based local development interventions in partnership with local government structures to enhance stability and trust between governance actors and their constituents.
Based in Aden, Yemen, the Project Manager will report to the Country Director. S/He will manage the project’s team and will be responsible for the timely implementation of project’s activities, building an action team of partners and staff and measuring the impact of the results of the project.
Summary of Position:
The Project Manager will report directly to Search Country Director and is responsible for the following:
- Establishes an effective project team to implement the project’s activities, while benefiting from Search core team technical and administrative support.
- Transfers project’s document into a comprehensive work plan outlining main and sub activities and effectively delegate and mange tasks and coordinate with partners.
- Works closely with the project coordinators and develops an implementation matrix taking into consideration the specialties of each target governorate.
- Works with the Country Director to build appropriate strategy for the rollout of the project.
- Develops regular and quarterly reports detailing progress in line with funder and Search guidelines and requirements in coordination with Deputy Country Director.
- Follows up and documents success stories and lessons learned and share them with the management on a regular basis.
- Establishes and manages partnerships both at the governorate, district, and local level.
- Establishes good working relations with relevant stakeholders for the effective implementation of the project including government offices at the governorate, district and local level.
- Develops and maintains proactive, positive, and professional relationships with partner organizations, other NGOS, donors, clients, and key government officials, local authorities, CSOs, working on relevant issues to the project.
- Maintains regular written and oral reporting to the Deputy Country Director on key country, project, security and staff issues.
- Maintains responsible media coverage of activities and achievements in coordination with the media officer.
- Oversees general project administrative and HR affairs in line with Search Yemen guidelines and in coordination with Search Administrative and Financial Manager.
- Establishes and manages an operational team to supervise project’s activities implementation in the target area in compliance with local laws and organizational policies and procedures, including the management and evaluation of a diverse staff.
- Ensures the implementation of project on-time and within budget.
- Ensures compliance with Search Operations Manual policies and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains updated security and evacuation plans.
- Oversees the management of project budgets, ensuring timely grant reporting and compliance with contract and donor guidelines in coordination with Search Administrative and Financial Manager.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Required Qualifications:
You meet the following qualifications:
- A post graduate degree or equivalent certificate/diploma or similar qualification from a recognized establishment or equivalent experiences.
- At least 3-5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position.
- Previous experience in community dialogue/peacebuilding programing in the context of Yemen.
- Previous experience in working on supporting local governance and managing community based interventions
- Strong project management skills covering different aspects such as activities planning and implementation, financial management, and partners’ coordination.
- Knowledge of and experience with conflict sensitivity and previous experience in community dialogue is highly desirable.
- Previous work with local CSOs, NGOs, and local government structures is highly desirable.
- Strong capacity-building experience with some training experiences.
- Excellent reporting skills and ability to capture results.
- Strong finance management skills with knowledge of Dutch Government funding is highly desirable
- Good knowledge of local contexts in Yemen with previous field experience.
- Knowledge and experience in conflict transformation and peacebuilding is highly desirable.
- Professional working relationships at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to work through stringent deadlines with acute attention to detail.
- Maintains focus on priorities.
- Self-‐starter with the ability to manage time effectively.
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communications.
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and
- computer applications (e.g. MS Office and Excel).
- Excellent command of English and Arabic.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
Send a cover letter and current resume to
Include the following in your cover letter:
- minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
- projected start date,
- where you found this posting.
This position will close on August 24th 2019. We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.