Ended Senior Food Security Program Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian atryghb gency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Senior Food Security Program Officer
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Taiz - Alhowban
Position Category: Full-time AND Regular
Duration of Assignment: 7 months
Deadline : 26 August 2019
Mercy Corps has been running its Food Security Program in Yemen since 2012; with the growing needs and program expanded for new locations. In coordination with Food and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) and food security partners, Mercy Corps is delivering regular, monthly food transfers through the commodity vouchers to the most vulnerable, food insecure families. Program is complemented by the awareness raising sessions and activities on nutrition and hygiene. Currently program is being implemented in three governorates: Taiz, Al Mahweet and Sana’a. Senior Program Officer will support assistance delivery to vulnerable families within AlTazizziyah district.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of Program Manager – Taiz, Senior Program Officer will be a focal point for all food distributions in AlTazizziyah districts and as such will be in charge of developing plans and overseeing the smooth delivery of food assistance through the commodity vouchers. S/he will ensure that all activities are in line with national and global Food Security guidelines and standards, follow Mercy Corps’ Policies, SoPs, Guidelines and Procedures. In addition, successful candidate will be responsible for the identification of newly arising needs, assessments and reports. S/he will document lessons learned, report on challenges and advice on solutions. Senior Program Officer will supervise dedicated to AlTazizziyah program team and closely coordinate with MEL teams, to ensure all activities have adequate MEL coverage. S/he will represent program at the community level, attend coordination meetings and connect with relevant authorities and stakeholders, when required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy & Vision
- Under the direction of Program Manager take lead in monitoring food security situation in targeted area, carry out needs assessment, report findings to the supervisor
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan
- Ensure MC has up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and coordinates beneficiary lists and numbers with different stakeholders such as WFP, Sub Cluster, Government of Yemen, INGOs, NGOs, as well as other stakeholders
- Take a lead on developing and maintaining program activity plans; ensure teams participate and are updated on changes. Maintain detailed work plans (DIPs) and written records of works and issues undertaken in the project
- Prepare and submit to Program Manager distribution plans, making sure regular distribution cycles are in place
- Oversee Project beneficiary registration, selection; coordinate with MEL on participants verification, using the approved MC and FSAC guidelines; ensuring process is inclusive, participatory and transparent to the community stakeholders.
- Support gender analysis and integration into all aspects of programming
- Oversee community and beneficiary mobilization and sensitization related activities; provide guidance to the teams, whenever required.
- Take a lead on district level community kick-off meetings and assessments
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of daily project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
- Ensure vouchers are handled (released, transported and distributed) according to Mercy Corps internal protocols
- Participate in vendor's selection, training, whenever required
- Participate in District vendor Receipts verification, oversee payments preparation and monitor payments, ensuring they are conducted in timely manner.
- Document implementation of all Food Security related activities and track progress towards program targets, keeping all team members apprised of achievements, delays, and issues
- Prepare regular field and monthly progress reports, submit to the Program Manager
- Work closely with MEL team in collecting data, updating the database and report writing
- Explore alternative technologies/ideas or initiatives that improve project implementation.
- Adhere to Mercy Corps internal polices and guidelines, not limited to PM@MC, Gender Minimum Standards;
- Other duties as assigned.
Influence & Representation:
- Coordinate with local leaders and authorities to prepare distribution lists and according to Mercy Corps criteria and Food Security guidelines/SoPs and program methodology.
- Support the development and maintenance of strong communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community, in collaboration with the PM, Area Manager and liaison team
- Participate in Food Security (FSAC) sub-cluster coordination meetings with other partners and report back on all discussions concerning Food Security related matters.
- Lead regular field team meetings, review progress and planning for his/her sub districts with all team members
- Provide encouragement, constructive feedback, support, coaching, as well as conduct performance appraisals to the direct reports, ensure other team members have their regular performance reviews in place
- Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program implementation;
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Based on project documents, contribute to monthly and/or quarterly procurement plans
- Remain in regular communication with Operations department regarding procurement of supplies
- Comply with Mercy Corps and donor polices and requirements
- Coordinate closely with Ops and Finance to ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources of the program are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program
- Maintain strong understanding of the security, political, cultural, and overall contextual situation in areas of program implementation and potential program expansion, specifically regarding accessibility, movements of populations and areas of settlement in the district.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with the country security focal point to analyse security situations and take appropriate measures before going to the field and while in the field.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Senior Food Security Officer is expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Field Officers, Community Mobilizers/Field Assistants
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Program Manager, Taiz
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: entire Food Program team, Nutrition and Hygiene Officer, MEL team, logistics and security.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science (BSc) (or equivalent in relevant field: Agriculture, Nutrition, Social Development Studies or Humanitarian Studies;
- Minimum of two years professional experience in implementing humanitarian responses in conflict setting, with focus on distributions, community mobilization, for example: Food Security, NFIs, Food and Vouchers, Cash Transfer. With INGO or local organization.
- Previous experience in cash (or vouchers)-based programming desirable
- Experience in managing multiple priorities, deadlines and tasks. Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Documented experience in representation at community level, ibeing able to effectively interact with community stakeholders
- Strong planning, coordination and communication skills are a must
- Ability to think independently and problem solve.
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community development.
- Flexible to work under pressure and remote areas.
- English fluency and writing skills are required
- Strong computer skills required
Successful candidates should meet the minimum Education and Experience requirements in the Knowledge and Experience section. S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must be passionate about community work and be ready to spend work days in the field. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace. The successful candidate will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment. She/he will have the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They will have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with other departments. Must have strong English skills, both oral and written.
Please if you are interested; use the following link to apply for the position: