Ended Program Manager
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Program Manager
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Taiz - Alhowban
Position Category: Full-time AND Regular
Duration of Assignment: 10 months renewal
Deadline : 26 August 2019
Mercy Corps has been running its Food Security Program in Yemen since 2012; with the growing needs and program expanded for new locations. In coordination with Food and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) and food security partners, Mercy Corps is delivering regular, monthly food transfers through the commodity vouchers to the most vulnerable, food insecure families. Program is complemented by the awareness raising sessions and activities on nutrition and hygiene. Currently program is being implemented in three governorates: Taiz, Al Mahwit and Sana’a. Program Manager-Taiz will oversee time, quality and on-scope delivery of assistance to targeted locations within Taiz Governorate and aims to support close to 37,000 households on monthly bases.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under direct supervision of Program Director, Program Manager will be responsible for overall timely, qualitative and on scope implementation of Food Security Programs, according to Mercy Corps and donor protocols, Food and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) guidelines etc. The Food Security Program Manager will be responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on all Mercy Corps Food Security related activities in Taiz. S/he will supervise dedicated program staff, provide day-to-day leadership and mentoring to the field teams. Successful candidate will monitor implementation progress and flag any possible issues and delays. S/he will closely coordinate with MEL and Operation and Finance teams to ensure program activities are delivered on time and on scope in adherence to the polices and operational procedures. Program Manager will represent the program before coordination forum, other food actors, local communities and leaders. S/he will monitor food security situation and plan on responding to newly emerging needs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy & Vision
- Participate in strategic planning for MC Food Security Program in Yemen; ensure linkages into overall MC Yemen Strategic Plans and programming;
- Take lead in monitoring food security situation, carry out needs assessment, report findings to the Director of Programs
- Assist in developing concept notes and proposals at the hub level in coordination with the Program Director, Country Office and HQ support teams.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan
- Ensure market analysis is used in program design and appropriate consultation is held with the community and local government on project roll-out and implementation
- Ensure MC has up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and coordinates beneficiary lists and numbers with different stakeholders such as WFP, Sub Cluster, Government of Yemen, INGOs, NGOs, as well as other stakeholders
- Actively participate in program and activities start-ups and ongoing program management and administration of the teams across Taiz hub to ensure timely and quality implementation of activities in the community
- Supervise and monitor the implementation of food security activities, ensure that all the activities are compliant with grant requirements and MC internal policies and good practices, as well as adhere to the FSAC minimum food assistance requirements for Yemen
- Ensure programmatic compliance to internal Standard Operational Procedures (SOPies), guidelines and in harmonization and coordination with other MC programs.
- Take a lead on developing and updating monthly and quarterly workplans for the teams, as well as Procurement and Recruitment plans
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria;
- Develop programmatic MOUs/Agreements & oversee a training program for vendors that will participate in the program;
- Work closely with teams to ensure vendors plan appropriately to meet commodity demands required for successful program implementation;
- Ensure that commodities purchased with vouchers meet established food quality standards.
- Establish and maintain effective project reporting, for both internal and external use in coordination with the program staff. Prepare internal Bi-weekly, and donor Monthly and Quarterly program reports.
- Document challenges and successes, ensure teams collect and share success stories
- Coordinate with MEL unit to ensure monitoring systems are in place to effectively monitor voucher programming and indicators. including gathering data for case studies.
- Ensure documentation and filing of project activities in compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, minimum protection standards and Do No Harm principles and ensure that these cross-cutting issues are addressed across the programs from design through to implementation.
- Ensure that program implementation is conducted with the respect to the security protocols, responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, PM@MC, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan
Influence & Representation:
- Maintain internal and external relationships to ensure program success including contacts with government office and country program offices, international and local NGOs working in the emergency sector, related to emergency programming, beneficiaries and the general public;
- Identify, coordinate with local and international organisations;
- Coordinate closely with Taiz Sub cluster for Food Security & Agriculture and other Taiz level clusters
- Coordinate with Taiz level local leaders and authorities including NAMCHA.
- Participate in the MC-lead Food Consortium Working Groups.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Contribute to procurement and financial forecasting plans based on the program cycle
- Provide approval on programmatic expenses, according to the authority levels
- Ensure all necessary requests (procurement requests, purchase orders, etc.) are accurately prepared and submitted on time
- Adhere to donors’ and Mercy Corps compliance
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback during program meetings
- Supervise and support all Food Security program staffs in Taiz hub, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Participate in the recruitment and onboarding of new staff
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Provide encouragement, constructive feedback, support, coaching, as well as conduct performance appraisals to the team members
- Manage performance development plans and identify opportunities for skill development
- Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program implementation;
- Maintain strong understanding of the security, political, cultural, and overall contextual situation in areas of program implementation and potential program expansion, specifically regarding accessibility, movements of populations and areas of settlement in the district.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with the country and governorate level security focal point to analyse security situations and take appropriate measures before going to the field and while in the field.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Senior Food Security Officers, Food Security Program staff in Taiz
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Program Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Nutrition and Hygiene Officer, Food Program Team Members, MEL, Grants, Finance and Operations.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor of Science (Bsc) or equivalent in relevant field (Agriculture, Nutrition, Social Science, Economics, Disaster Management etc). Advanced degree preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in a relief setting, with minimum 3 years of experience on managerial position
- Experience supervising staff, starting up programs and working in emergency and transitional programming
- Experience in project cycle management with focus on cash transfers or voucher programming. Experience managing complex and complicated activities with time sensitive deliverables in unstable environments, desired.
- Knowledge of participatory approaches and community sensitization and mobilization
- Demonstrated ability to manage and communicate effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Strong understanding of local (Taiz) context, preferred.
- High level of proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills, self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Ability to engage with local communities and local leaders.
Successful candidates must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must be excellent planner, organizer and communicator; will demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, energetic and hard-working. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace. The successful candidate will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment. She/he will have the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They will have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel. Must have strong English skills, both oral and written.
Please if you are interested; use the following link to apply for the position: