Ended General Coordinator (Head of Mission)
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Position: General Coordinator (Head of Mission)
Status: full time
Location: Sana’a (with regular field travels within Yemen mission (Aden & Ibb) including Djibouti).
Reporting to: Emergency Desk Officer at HQ in Paris
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (General Coordinator - Head of Mission), based in Sana’a to start as soon as possible.
Under the supervision of Emergency Desk Officer at headquarter in Paris, the General Coordinator (Head of Mission) has the overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction of the MDM Yemen Programme to achieve the organizational mission and objectives. S/he is responsible for the programmatic and operational management in the Yemen Programme. S/he represents MDM with Government, Local and international Organizations in Yemen. S/he will take a leading role in developing, overseeing implementation, reviewing and monitoring of the Country Programme strategy. S/he is responsible for developing new programming initiatives, new partnerships and maintaining existing partnerships and actively lead key phases of ongoing programs including phase out. S/he is responsible to promote fundraising initiatives ensuring the smooth running of the Country Programme and its financial & grant management as well as the Programme’s sustainability. S/he is responsible for overall financial and human resources management of the Country Programme. S/he has overall supervision over security and safety.
The General Coordinator – Head of Mission has supervision over 3 bases within the country (Sana`a main office, Ibb and Aden bases) as well as one base in Djibouti which was established to support Yemen program operations.
- Elaborate and share a continuous analysis of the socio-political and humanitarian context, to adjust the MdM intervention to the needs.
- Take the lead in defining the operational and advocacy strategy together with the coordination team, and the Desk.
- Provide guidance and support to the different departments as per needed.
- Develop and maintain smooth relationship and network with authorities in order to facilitate the implementation of activities.
- Ensure a smooth collaboration with partners through regular meetings, exchange of information, joint strategies, etc.
- Ensure that adequate means (HR, logistics, financial, logistical) are available for the smooth running of the programs Ensure the respect of MdM internal rules and of MdM obligations.
- Responsible for the compliance with the objectives, rules and procedures related to the grant contracts with donors
- Contribute to the yearly budget framework and its revision and justify the budget consumption per line and anticipate any needs of budget amendments.
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the Administrative Coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level.
- The General Coordinator is responsible for the overall security of the mission.
- General Coordinator is the final in-Country decision maker in front of national political & security authorities.
- General Coordinator is responsible to validate expats movements inside the country.
- General Coordinator is in charge to identify and change (if needed) the security phase of MDM mission in the country with support of the mission management team, HQ desk and HQ security focal point.
- Monitor the security situation, in collaboration with the liaison officers.
- Analyze and anticipate the security evolutions and regularly update the security guidelines.
- Ensure reporting to the Desk officer and the rest of the team on any security incident or dangerous development.
- Ensure a national security plan is updated and implemented (including availability of enough human and financial resources).
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team.
- Propose and enforce new rules or procedures, in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context.
The representation responsibility is shared with coordination team by delegation of responsibility (when needed)
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Yemen (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), in particular with the medical organizations with similar programs.
- Represent MdM with the authorities and ensure a regular communication with stakeholders at central level. Representation at peripheral level can be delegated to the field coordinator, field manager.
- Undertake pro-active donor prospection and propose alternative sources of funding for discussion with the HQ, and inform HQ about the results.
- Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners.
Program design and coordination
The General Coordinator is responsible for the definition of the overall strategy in collaboration with the coordination team, in line with MdM Strategic Plans.
- Monitor regularly the humanitarian situation in Yemen in collaboration with the Coordination team and define the MDM strategy in the country, in close collaboration with HQ.
- In case of substantial changes or difficulties, propose and discuss new actions with the team, and the Desk officer, including the conduction of need assessments, the reorientation of certain activities or the implementation of new activities.
- Analyze the context, develop a network of contacts inside and outside Yemen in line with the humanitarian situation.
- Ensure global adherence to the general strategy for the Yemen response and provide guidance to the team.
- Supervise the preparation of project proposals, reports and other documents requested by the donors to donors, and ensure the quality and accuracy of documents submitted.
- In close coordination with the different managers, define the general organisation of the mission and the organization chart, and propose changes in the structure.
- Ensure briefing and follow up of teams in Yemen, including security and program briefings for new arrivals.
- Ensure good information flow and maintain proper communication between the different departments
- Support the Medical Coordinator in the daily management of the program.
- Make sure that performance appraisals are regularly conducted for the staff mission, in link with the Administrative manager.
- Recruit, induct on code of ethics and internal regulations
- Develop capacity building strategy and activities for the mission staff
- Ensure that the level of visibility and the public messages on the programs are in line with MDM strategic position
- Be the spokesperson for MDM in Yemen with local and international media, in coordination with the Headquarters.
- Act as focal point for Yemen for communication and advocacy activities, in collaboration with the Desk officer.
- Report regularly and share information with the Desk Officer through monthly situation reports,
Essential Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years humanitarian aid experience at management level in complex crisis including highly volatile situations.
- Extensive experience in a similar position as Country Director / Head of Mission
- Substantial experience in safety and security management
- Experience in complex decision making and leading a multi-disciplinary, multi-national team under difficult circumstances.
- High level of expertise in representation and negotiation with governments and donors.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, including the humanitarian system, donors, security, civil military liaison and program management.
- Experience in hard negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff.
- Excellent communication skills, listening and diplomacy skills.
- Experience in managing Health program is an asset.
- Working previously in Yemen or the Region in an asset.
- Ability to listen and share decisions/ Ability to take effective decisions according to the context.
- Flexibility, Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability.
- Excellent Organizational skills.
- Good writing and communication skills/ Ability to communicate effectively with informants and contacts from widely-varied organizations and agencies.
- Leadership / team player.
- Respectful, diplomatic and excellent behavior.
- Please send your CV along with the motivation letter using the following link: https://www.medecinsdumonde.org/en/recrutement/offres/2019/08/30/general-coordinator-mf
- End of submission: Sunday, 25th September, 2019.
- Please specify the name of the position applying for in the subject of the email.
Thanks to note that only the persons who will be seen on tests/interviews will be contacted.