Ended Senior Public Health Promotion Officer
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
- Diverse and complex problem-solving, requiring professional knowledge field experience and an understanding of emergency and humanitarian work.
- Problem-solving and analysis often involves difficult decision-making with no precedent, although difficult decisions taken with manager.
- Advice and problem-solving often given over distance with limited information.
- Information sources are diverse, ranging from desk study to data collection in programme and non-programme areas and often requires a judgement on credibility and accuracy of the information.
- Work patterns are often high pressure.
- Makes complex technical information accessible and usable by non-specialist.
- Creates opportunities to develop work within a framework plan.
- Experience of emergency and humanitarian work gained in professional work.
- Decisions on programmes, especially if adviser involved in assessment, can be fundamental
- Manage PHP Officers and reinforce staff capacity building in a defined geographical area
- Manages moderate amounts of cash and/or equipment.
- Gender and protection sensitivity.
Strategies and management:
- In coordination and collaboration with the PH TL, PHPTL design context appropriate hygiene promotion interventions for and with specific target groups e.g. women, men, and children in the operation areas, taking into account different background and literacy level.
- To assist on the development of an integrated WASH-EFSL strategy for Hajjah /Hudidah Office , including community participation in the design, use and maintenance of WASH facilities, capacity building, remote management needs and partnerships within programme strategy including resource planning in terms of technical budget and staffing requirements.
- Together with PHP staffs ensures the selection, designing and implementation of PHP activities with best quality within committed timeframe. .
- To lead a team of PHP staff in the areas of operation to ensure quality program.
Co-ordination and Representation
- Ensure coordination with relevant INGOs, government department’s e.g Ministry of Public Health MOPH and local partners on the proposed areas of intervention to avoid work duplication.
- Coordinate donor field visits for proper programme updates and sharing of lessons learnt and challenges.
- nutrition meetings and ensure good and sound representation of the organization.
- Participate in the design, management and delivery of public health and WASH assessments (including baseline studies), and analyses to identify WASH-related health risks and priorities for programme implementation and sharing of assessment results and analysis with the programme team in Haradh
- Implement hygiene promotion, Watsan and EFSL initiatives appropriate to the context. This will involve working in close collaboration with engineering colleagues (PHE) to ensure that technical and social aspects of water and sanitation programming are closely integrated with food security and livelihoods colleagues to maximize the potential for cohesive programming.
- (Gender) Ensure women and men in the affected populations are involved in the planning, implementation and monitoring of public health activities and play a key role in making sure those communities are informed and consulted about Oxfam's work and have opportunities to give their views on programme activities.
- Support the PHP teams to carry out programme implementation activities within the parameters of the public health needs and Public Health Strategy. This will involve assisting the Public Health team in identifying appropriate designs for implementation; supporting and capacity building the team members.
- Contribute on designing all PHP baseline surveys, end line surveys or any other WASH surveys required in very close coordination with MEAL team.
- In conjunction with the PHP TL analyses and make the links between the public health promotion, public health engineering and EFSL programmes in the programme areas, and to make recommendations for actions which are consistent with Oxfam’s policies
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and promotes the full and equal participation of women. As much as possible ensure that an empowering approach to working with communities is employed rather than one, which relies on didactic message based methodologies.
- Contribute in staff development including staff of local partners through written action plans, training plans, input into performance objective setting and appraisals.
- Work with others to ensure that gender, protection and HIV mainstreaming cross cutting issues is addressed in public health initiatives.
- To ensure that work aims to meet Minimum Standards and adheres to Oxfam’s emergency guidelines and protocols and the government.
- Contribute to an integrated approach to programme implementation between sectors of PHP, PHE, EFSL, Livelihoods, and Food Security.
Capacity assessment and building of PHPs and partners
- Take necessary initiatives for the capacity building needs assessment of the PHPs and partners
- Take initiative to prepare comprehensive capacity building action plan for both Oxfam PHP staff and partners
- Plan and implement informal and formal training sessions for a variety of staff/ stakeholders and evaluate the impact of this training and where appropriate, assist with capacity building of partner agencies.
- Negotiate PHP TL/ PHTL, PM for exposure visit/ secondment for PHP
Programme planning, reporting and Lesson Learning:
- Worked closely with the teams to generate weekly, monthly, distribution and monitoring and situation reports within the specified timeframe.
- Contribute on the developing and delivering a PHP monitoring plan with MEAL team, and manage others in the effective monitoring and reporting of key WASH and health indicators.
What we are looking for
- Willingness to travel at short notice, often in difficult circumstances and within constraints of security.
- Strong written and spoken English including report writing
- Proven ability to work creatively, innovatively, using owns initiative with limited direct supervision as well as a working effectively as a team player.
- Knowledge of the dynamics of the Yemen context and cultures; working in conflict areas.
- Practical understanding of public health issues for chronic food security conditions and sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender, protection and diversity issues in public health engineering programme activities.
- Assessment, analytical and planning skills.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Capability to think creatively & strategically to mediate & to negotiate successfully with individuals & groups to reach common ground & solutions.
- Analytical, negotiation, interpersonal & communications skills.
- Motivation & commitment to humanitarian work & values.
- Ability to work well independently & can assume immediate responsibility.
- Detail oriented with organizational.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work within a stressful environment.
- A team player with positive inter-personal skills coupled with effective leadership qualities.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & internet).
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile via the following link: