Operation Manager - Country Office
The overall role of the Operations Manager is to provide operational support to Save the Children’s response in Yemen, with specific focus on the implementation and monitoring of high risk awards and operational issues to ensure the quality delivery of programmes across a complex, volatile, multi-location and multi-sector response that requires considerable investment and oversight from the central Programme Operations team.
The Operations Manager will act as Country Office (CO) focal point for a portfolio of specific awards ensuing that the relevant Field Managers and field teams are adequately supported to deliver high quality, timely interventions in line the objectives of response strategy and in accordance with donor requirements. The Operations Manager may also be called upon to support scale up in response to emergencies, assist in the design of emergency preparedness procedures, and to provide strategic planning support regarding the direction of the response in Yemen to the DPO/ DDPO.
The responsibilities listed may change and evolve in line with the situation on the ground. Budget holder responsibilities will be given as per the Scheme of Delegation..
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
oversight and Management of Programme Operations (50%)
- Act as focal point for a designated portfolio of awards, supporting the relevant Field Managers and field teams to deliver high quality, timely interventions in line the objectives of response strategy and in accordance with donor requirements
- Within the designated portfolio/areas, ensure:
- Field Offices (FOs) follow adequate planning processes (DIP, procurement plan, recruitment plan, MEAL plan, budget phasing etc.)
- Coordination between FOs and CO departmental functions to ensure effective and efficient delivery of programmes
- Appropriate spend and budget utilization; supporting to modify budget, activities and work plan where necessary and compliant
- Oversee, as necessary, the field level programme proposal processes and preparation of timely and high-quality progress reports, program reports, and donor reports, coordinating with the relevant CO teams
- Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and government authorities, representing the organisation in coordination fora as requested by the DPO / DDPO
- Ensure programmes are implemented in response to the communities, and children in line with Save the Children principles, values and strategic plan and following Save the Children compliance procedures. This includes working with government and national NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity
- Provide cover for the Deputy Director Programme Operations (DDPO) as required
Operational improvement & systems strengthening (30%):
- Within the designated portfolio, identify and escalate systemic issues, constraints and risks to programme progress and quality to the relevant country office teams via the DPO / DDPO and ensure follow up to resolve issues with field teams
- Support the development of field office capacity building plans / field-level operational improvement plans, identifying the necessary actions, resources (staff, advisors, funding), and drive their implementation at field level through supporting the Field Managers as necessary to implement plans, monitoring progress
Emergency preparedness & response (10%):
- Support scale up to respond to emergencies within the designated portfolio/areas or as requested by the DPO / DDPO, as per Save the Children’s categorization requirements, in line with global emergency goals and benchmarks as well as organizational plans and policies
- Support with the plan and implementation of scale down /transition post response within the designated portfolio/areas or as requested by DDPO / DPO
- Assist in the design of emergency preparedness procedures ensuring Field Office readiness to respond to emergencies within the designated portfolio/areas or as requested by the DPO / DDPO
Capacity Building (10%):
- Provide strategic planning and capacity building support to field teams as required
- Identify, and where applicable provide, learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and partners and work as a mentor for less experienced staff
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
COMPETENCIES FOR THIS ROLE:
LEADING AND INSPIRING OTHERS
Demonstrates leadership in all our work, embodies our values and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve our goals for children.
Level required: Accomplished
Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/ organization
Level required: Leading Edge
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING
Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization.
Level required: Leading Edge
COMMUNICATING WITH IMPACT
Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
Level required: Accomplished
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Post graduate master’s degree on Gynecology or public health or bachelor degree on QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- First degree in Humanitarian/Development Studies, International Development or related field with 5 years’ experience in humanitarian operations.
- Commitment to and advocate of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding policy;
- Prior experience managing emergency responses in humanitarian contexts
- Recognized management role in relevant technical areas at both field and country level
- A general appreciation of the issues concerning the NGO sector, both development and humanitarian issues
- Good analytical skills. Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector working
- Credibility to lobby, influence and represent Save the Children at all levels
- Resource management, training, capacity building, coaching, and mentoring skills
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and juggle multiple tasks
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Ability to work within a team
- Solid experience in more than one of the Save the Children priority sectors: education, protection, emergencies
- Experience in a complex and matrix-managed organization;
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Arabic added advantage.
Please apply to the below link
This position is open to Yemeni nationals only
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in YemeAll applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guardian Policy and Reference Checking Process.