ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Hodeidah, Raymah, Ibb, Ad-Dhalee, Saadah and Al Jawf.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g. distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g. income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g. rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Contract Duration: 6 months, renewable contract depending on budgeting and performance
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Engineer will support the Deputy Project Manager in ensuring the effective implementation of all aspects of this project related to all WASH rehabilitation activities, which may include water and wastewater networks, boreholes, water point, institutions rehabilitation, water supply trucking, etc.
- In collaboration with the programme team and coordination, determine the strategic direction of the programme in the short and medium term and map out activities, and contribute to the preparation of project proposals and budgets as necessary.
- Work with the Deputy Project Manager / Project coordinator to make weekly plans and field visits.
- Prepare and Implement all of the WASH assessments related to the project’s activities in terms of the projects selection, designing, prepare the BoQs in English and Arabic, draft the tenders, conduct quality checks, and the contracts if requested.
- Ensure that Bills of Quantities and Designs are technically and culturally suitable for the specificities of the targeted location.
- Ensure the reliability and accuracy of all construction project related documentations (BoQs, Construction designs, Construction work plans, etc.).
- Conduct regular site visits and monitoring and give technical advice to the field team and communities;
- Ensure the quality and efficiency of all field work done relevant to WASH rehabilitation activities and tasks in line with the comprehensive execution plan, MoUs, WASH standards and requirements to ensure high technical quality.
- Provide technical assistance for chlorination process and train team on chlorination and water testing as needed; carrying out water quality testing, and implementing of all aspects of chlorine support to water supply sites
- Coordinate closely with village leaders, committees and other stakeholders for smooth running for construction sites.
- Act as a clear communication channel between ACTED program, contractors, sub-contractors, stakeholders (Local Water and Sanitation Councils, GARWSP, Ministry of Health, Water Cluster, other INGOs, etc.), and the project beneficiaries (where relevant).
- Ensure that planned activities are successfully implemented according to ACTED’s quality standards and SOPs.
- Perform regular work inspections to assure quality of works and compatibility with agreed specification, standard and drawings
- Assure safety of the works and proper usage of PPE by ACTED staff and monitor if contractors following the safety standards and rules
- Prepare all other report upon request by line manager.
- Process data and information from field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data;
- Ensure cross-program integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices for other ACTED programs.
- Closely coordinate with ACTED Community Mobilization, Hygiene Promotion and other teams
- Communicate with the line manager and relevant staff for any difficulties linked to project implementation and propose solutions
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. To promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work.
- Facilitate Monitoring and Evaluation exercises in cooperation with the AME unit or with external third-party monitors.
Project follow up
- Prepare with contractor and respective authority/owner for the handing over of each site when the project is near to finish.
- Check and validate with Deputy Project Manager each invoice presented by contractor for the quantities that implemented on the site before making the required payment
- Provide relevant technical input and feedback expertise/guidance to ensure that technical quality and standards are maintained during project implementation (design and construction phases),
- Collaborate with the Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (AMEU) to assess need, monitor activities, and evaluate programme progress.
- Ensure that lessons learned in the course of implementation are integrated into the programme to ensure that it remains responsive and relevant;
- Be alert to opportunities arising for learning, collaboration and partnership that may enhance programme quality and responsiveness. Identify and interact with existing WASH, shelter and FSL initiatives in the base, including UN, GO’s and NGO’s, and community initiatives.
- Liaise with the relevant Technical Working Group / Cluster and its participants/ partners.
Reporting & Documentation:
- Collect photos of program implementation and ensure that donor visibility is respected;
Assist in the identification and location of beneficiaries when requested
- Fill in daily progress report, and writing reports in weekly and monthly basis as requested to all relevant departments (coordination, program, logistics, AME…);
- Report on the implementation of activities as per specific program and donor requirements.
- Maintain an efficient, organized system of paperwork and reporting for field work, and Supporting data entry, documentation and the preparation of documents
- Collaborate effectively with other line managers and the coordination team.
- If relevant, manage sub-engineer(s) and develop team capacity at both the individual and group level by organising/ facilitating trainings internally or through specialist agencies / individuals.
- Supervise Daily Workers/sub-contractors/water trucking supervisors/Site supervisors hired to support with the WASH activities.
- To hand over/ the final completion report for each assets’ creation and filling documents.
- Complete and sign work Completion Certificates, verifying that works have been completed to specifications contained in BoQs and contracts.
- To perform accurate filing of all processed documents, monthly consolidated filing of key project documents in the office;
- To prepare, on demand, summaries and reports of activities or technical draws according to ACTED needs and reflecting the most accurate data of the activities developed.
- Ensure all relevant filing is properly organized, up-to-date and complete for all projects. He/she shall, also work closely with the FLAT teams to support project reconciliation / general monthly follow-up exercise
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience):
- A university degree in engineering BSc in Civil, Hydraulic or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 3-years’ experience in a position with similar responsibilities, in technical project implementation and commissioning, construction site and contractors’ management;
- Advanced computer skills (AutoCAD, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Good analytical skills, process design skills and project planning and management skills;
- Strong technical expertise in water quality testing, chlorination and cholera risk management;
- Able to access and work in Saadah governorates, and willing to travel to other governorates on occasion if necessary;
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, as well as the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with a variety of audiences (e.g. beneficiaries, community committees, and other team members);
- Leadership and organizational skills are required;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, work efficiently under pressure and in changing circumstances;
- Fluency in Arabic and strong English skills required;
- Understanding of the principles of non-governmental organizations is an asset.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours (including nights and weekends when necessary)
- Organize personal work load and achieve results in time.
- Ability to work under pressure and in a stressful environment
- Ability to communicate with people and create friendly environment
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV + Cover letter in English to: email@example.com
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail: Saadah- DMM Engineer and rename your CV as (First & Last name + Engineer).
- The closing date for applications is on Thursday, 19 September 2019.
- Candidates from Saadah governorate are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, interviews would be on a rolling basis and candidates may be identified before the closing date.
Only candidates from Saadah/AlJawf (in districts with connection difficulties) can also submit their CV in hard copy to ACTED HR Saadah Office.
بإمكان المتقدمين من محافظتي صعدة/الجوف فقط (في المناطق التي تعاني من صعوبة في الاتصال) تقديم نسخة مطبوعة من سيرتهم الذاتية إلى قسم الموارد البشرية في مكتب المنظمة في صعدة.
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed in regard to this job will result in disqualification