Ended Senior Programme Assistant (PROTECTION)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position : Senior Programme Assistant (PROTECTION)
Organizational Unit : Protection (PROTECTION)
Duty Station : Yemen, Al-Hudaydah
IOM Classification : G 6
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) , 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2019/151
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23, September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office and Senior Programmes Coordinator (Protection), as well as technical guidance by the Programme Manager(s) of Community Response and Migrant Protection, the incumbent based in Hodeida will be expected to support the implementation of joint migrant and community protection activities for crisis impacted individuals and communities facing protection concerns/needs in areas IOM supports out of Aden. Owing to the prevalence of migrant protection activities in Aden Governorate the incumbent will be expected to work closely with the Programme Manager(s) of Community Response and Migrant Protection to ensure the following key tasks are envisaged for the role.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the Community Response Manager coordinate and monitor migrant protection programming and IDP programming responses (design, implementation and monitoring) in accordance with the IOM protection strategy and priorities;
- Under the guidance of the Community Response Manager, verify that activities are conducted in line with donor requirements and project documents, and that reporting requirements are produced in a timely and to high quality;
- Go on regular field visits to monitor project implementation and provide on-site guidance to the teams; organize regular meetings with the field teams to monitor progress, set objectives, identify issues and mitigation measures;
- Follow up on all administrative matters related to Protection activities; support budget monitoring; ensure timely procurement of goods and adequate use of resources; identify and refer HR issues to the Community Response Manager;
- Promote protection cross-cutting issue are integrated across all protection training models, tools and reporting. Work with cluster/thematic working groups, as well with other IOM programmatic units, to ensure a functioning referrals system are in place.
- Under the guidance of the Community Response Manager, ensure the field team is mentored and understand knowledge on protection of vulnerable persons, migration dynamics and migration management, and that key standards are embedded across migration protection programming.
- In coordination with Community Response Manager and IOM Liaison Unit, coordinate with partners, agencies and relevant government counterparts with regard to projects implementation; participate in coordination meetings as required;
- Contribute to the roll out of protection integrated approach across other IOM programmatic portfolio (i.e. health, CCCM) and identify practical opportunities to create synergies with other IOM teams on the ground;
- Provide regular progress updates, prepare success stories, and support the unit in gathering and analysing program data, including protection monitoring data and information to inform adaptive programming and produce ad hoc situation analysis/activity reports whenever needed.
- Contribute to promoting accountability to the beneficiaries across the Protection portfolio; under the guidance of the Community Response Manager, put mechanisms in place to ensure transparent targeting; ensure that beneficiaries’ feedbacks are considered, and complaints are addressed in a timely manner;
- Promote gender equality within the team and in the programme implementation;
- Perform any other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree (B.S.c) in social science, business administration or other relevant discipline; Or an equivalent combination of education training and experience.
- Minimum Six Years’ Experience (Four Years for University Degree Holders) in a similar position, with good understanding of the socio-political context in Yemen.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and skills mandatory.
- Understanding of standards and practices in migrant protection and assistance.
- Understanding of protection principles and experience in humanitarian emergency response.
- Prior professional experience with a humanitarian organization is required.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Good level of IT literacy (MS. Word & Excel).
Languages: English and Arabic
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating position applied on subject line by 23st September 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line SVN2019/151 Al-hudaydah, SENIOR PROGRAMME ASSISTANT (PROTECTION) G6
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Posting period: From 08. Sept.2019 to 23. Sept.2019