Ended WASH Engineer Assistant
Job Title: Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Engineer Assistant
Department: Program Department
Reports To: Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Engineer
Location: Dhale, Yemen
Through Integrated Modalities to Promote Agriculture, Cash for Work and Training (IMPACT) in Yemen, Global Communities aims to provide humanitarian assistance and early recovery need of vulnerable and conflict-affected populations in southern Yemen. Global Communities is using a holistic approach to bolstering food security and livelihoods, improving water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) outcomes, and promoting economic opportunities in Aden, Lahj, and Dhale Governorates. The WASH Sector of Global Communities aims to improve access to safe water supplies, sanitation facilities, and improved hygiene practices in targeted communities in Aden, Lahj and Al Dhale Governorates. The rehabilitation of Community water and Sanitation facilities are mainly carried out through Cash for Work (CFW) modalities using both skilled and non -skilled laborers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Engineer Assistant will support WASH Engineer in designing, managing and supervising all water-related rehabilitation activities. Based in Dhale, this position is expected to travel to project sites in different districts to work with governorate representatives on the implementation and training of all water-related rehabilitation/CFW activities. The detailed duties and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Participate in a field level needs assessment/survey/data collection of proposed water-related rehabilitation activities, in coordination with Community Mobilizers; develop summary bill of quantities (BOQ); prepare detailed report of assessment/survey findings.
- Participate in the implementation oversight of all water-related rehabilitation activities.
- Participate in the Water Quality testing and analysis.
- Follow up the Cash-For-Work (CFW) beneficiaries.
- Ensure that all water-related rehabilitation activities are implemented in adherence with Global Communities, USAID and/or other recognized international construction quality, environmental mitigation and safety standards.
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
- Prepare required progress/weekly reports for the WASH Engineer.
- In collaboration with relevant program implementation staff, prepare, oversee, and update the work plan for rehabilitation activities.
- Due to the nature of the program’s activities, the abovementioned tasks are indicative only and are subject to change. Others/additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives.
- Keep soft and hard documents related to all water-related rehabilitation activities.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree preferably in engineering (Civil or WASH engineering) is required and 1 year of experience in a related area or a related field in a similar setting and capacity is preferred.
- Technical Expertise in Conducting Water Quality Analyses and treatments.
- Knowledge of Cash for Work (CFW) Modalities.
- Knowledge in designing WASH BOQs and drawings
- Good organizational and communication skills and teamwork-oriented.
- Good analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
- Able to set clear goals and develop plans to work towards as a team.
- Good in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and typing.
- Ability to travel as required within Yemen.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Previous experience in field offices is a plus.
From September 2019 until March 31, 2020 with possibility of extension.
- Application should consist of a one page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. Cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with Global Communities.
- Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21463955/1491567
- Applications submitted after 15th of September 2019 will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.