Ended Health Data Analyst
Health Data Analyst
First Level Supervisor:
Type of Contract : SSA
Grade : NOA
Multiple locations in Yemen
The Health Data Analyst works under the direct supervision of the Programme or Technical Officer or in small Country Offices under the WHO Representative directly. S/he receives technical guidance equally from the supervisor. The incumbent is expected to work independently but can escalate complex issues and cases to the supervisor.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Function 1 (incl. expected results)
Designs database applications for the use in projects and programmes and provides technical input in the development of analytical frameworks, guidelines and manuals, achieving results such as:
- Pinpoint problems in the designated areas databases.
- Design forms for receiving, processing, or tracking data Develop comprehensive statistical and analytical plans and frameworks for health data related to different programmes/ assessments
- An incumbent may demonstrate, provide assistance in building national capacity on statistical analysis, data processing, advanced MS office applications, and customized health information applications, as needed or training in using software databases.
- To assist in the development of integrated central database.
- Development of statistical and analytical reports based on WHO standard guidelines and available data
- Production of computerised outputs and reports based on analysed data as and when requested. Test programs or databases, correct errors, and make necessary modifications.
- Tests system changes and upgrades by inputting new data and reviewing output.
- To assist in developing standardized data entry tools/ systems (built-in with data quality checks), and the related guide documents.
Function 2 (incl. expected results)
Coordinates data collection and data management activities, including generating a multitude of analyses, reports, and charts, achieving results such as:
- Periodic collection of data from all relevant partners in the designated area.
- Data entry, ensuring integrity and security of data.
- Quality control audits to ensure accuracy, completeness, and proper usage of systems and data.
- Generate data queries based on validation checks or errors and omissions identified during data entry to resolve identified problems.
- Review of data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by finding individual solutions.
- Compilation of background materials and data, and assistance in composing country and health profiles
- Draft of routine and ad hoc statistical and analytical reports based on the collected data (including graphs, and tables).
- Preparation of graphic presentations on the basis of data analysis.
- Development and update of questionnaires and shaping of files for data entry and analysis according to programme requirements
- Using various software tools for creating summary tables, graphs, and charts on basis of assessments’ indicators.
Function 3 (incl. expected results)
Conducts monitoring, evaluation and assessment activities through the use of database systems, achieving results such as:
- Collection, editing, cleaning, verifying, compiling and analysing Health resources Availability mapping System (HeRAMS) data usually reported from different health facilities or mobile teams from the designated areas where HeRAMS is functioning.
- Maintenance of electronic HeRAMS database using different software tools.
- Analysis of current system and programme monitoring indicators, and development of tools to monitor and assess progress against the WCO health information management unit work plan.
- Administration of database system to produce statistical reports and to facilitate prompt response to identified health needs.
- Preparation of monitoring reports for conducted assessments (emergency or regular programme) as required.
- Drafting periodic HeRAMS snapshots and reports, and other bulletins as required.
- Preparation of HeRAMS data sets and comparisons of situation of health facilities across different governorates, and other data extraction and statistical analysis as needed to assist in the preparation of different reports.
Work Relations and Partnerships
The Data Analyst liaises with various partners, ranging from provincial and district health teams, vertical programs, NGOs, and others mainly to receive and provide data, to answer queries, or to alert them of any outcome of the data analysis. S/he equally conducts quality control audits which may lead to discussions on slightly contentious issues. Furthermore, the incumbent can provide technical feedback on the development of frameworks and guidelines.
Impact of functions
The functions have a direct impact on strengthening information management in terms of quality and quantity of information, mechanisms of data collection and information products. The analyses, reports and other documentation produced by the incumbent can be used for creating health profiles, for decision making, and for better monitoring outbreaks and emergencies.
First level university degree is required in computer science, systems engineering, electronic or telecommunications or a relevant combination of qualifications and experience in the field of work and technical expertise
University degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field is an asset.
Professional experience and knowledge
At least one (1) year of relevant work experience in statistical analysis, database management, and software support.
- Good knowledge in Database Management Systems (i.e., Oracle, SQL Server …);
- Good knowledge in statistical sciences (i.e., concepts, analysis tools such as SPSS, Stata …)
- Excellent knowledge of Windows based back office and desktop applications;
- Knowledge of basic telecommunications technologies and Internet based protocols.
Knowledge of WHO mandate and goals or experience in UN Organizations, international institutions or NGOs is considered an asset.
Fluent in English and the local language
- Fostering Integration and Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
- Producing Results: Produces and delivers quality results. Is action oriented and committed to achieving outcomes.
- Knowing and managing yourself: Manages ambiguity and pressure in a self-reflective way. Uses criticism as a development opportunity. Seeks opportunities for continuous learning and professional growth.
Interested candidates are kindly requested and strongly encouraged to send their CV To: firstname.lastname@example.org please clearly mention in the email subject Name of the position.
Only Short –listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline for application: COB 14 October 2019