Ended Programme Assistant
First Level Supervisor:
Type of Contract : SSA
Grade : G5
Multiple locations in Yemen
The Programme Assistant works under the direct supervision and the general guidance of the relevant Programme or Technical Officer or in small Country Offices under the WHO Representative directly. The supervisor gives instructions on non-routine matters. Routine tasks are performed independently. Work is reviewed upon completion for overall quality, timeliness and attainment of objectives.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Function 1 (incl. expected results)
Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme or project implementation, achieving results such as:
- Monitoring status of programme/project proposals and receipt of documentation for review and approval;
- Checking upon the process to establish projects and alert supervisors of any delays or action needed, submission of project documentation for final approval and signature; distribution of project documents to relevant parties upon approval;
- Liaison with administrative staff on the verification and availability of funds, entry in computerized budget system and monitoring of approval processes.
- Extensive liaison and follow-up with diverse organizational units on various administrative actions such as recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services
- Compilation and summary of basic information and data on specific programmes/project related topics or issues.
- Regular reporting on the budget status against the established project work plan using available dashboards or pre-existing tracking methodologies.
Function 2 (incl. expected results)
Arranges meetings, seminars, conferences and other events related to technical programmes or projects, achieving results such as:
- Finalisation of all administrative and logistical preparations required for the organisation of technical and programmatic meetings, conferences, seminars, workshop, courses and other events. This includes liaison with participants from MoH and other stakeholders.
- Compilation and basic research of background material for technical and programmatic presentations, meetings and other events.
- Follow-up on agreed upon activities with the relevant units and staff to take action.
Function 3 (incl. expected results)
Handles technical documents and correspondences linked to certain projects or programme activities, achieving results such as:
- Establishment and maintenance of filing system appropriate for each technical project or programme.
- Compilation, formatting and editing of technical documents linked to certain project or programme activities and submission to appropriate staff for reply.
- Information and reminders for responsible staff of follow-up dates on project activities, response or specific actions, supplying supporting material as appropriate.
- Tracking the workflow, and monitoring the progress of work and deadlines for programme documents and follow up with the substantive offices as needed.
Work Relations and Partnerships
The Programme Assistant liaises with a various organizational entities both at Country and Regional Office level in order to follow-up on administrative actions and to bring them to finalisation. The incumbent equally liaises with conference, seminar or other event participants, responding to queries and simple requests related to the organisation of the event. Furthermore, the Programme Assistant alerts supervisors and other technical staff on issues related to the implementation progress of projects and programmes. The incumbent is equally encouraged to make recommendations for improvement of administrative processes.
Impact of functions
The functions have a direct impact on the efficient coordination of programme planning, preparation of project implementation and the smooth operational execution of programme activities. Furthermore, the functions contribute to the monitoring of the projects’ implementation progress within the administrative framework, in terms of financial and human resources as well as proper filing and documentation.
Completion of secondary education supplemented by Programme management studies.
Desirable: University degree in business administration, social sciences or related field is an asset
Professional experience and knowledge
- At least five years’ of progressive secretarial/administrative related experience.
- Knowledge of administrative policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting.
- Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Should be able to multitask and prioritize using good time management skills, organized and detail-oriented. Adherence to deadlines and timely generation of correspondence.
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
- Communicating in a credible and effective manner: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others; listens actively.
- Producing Results: Produces and delivers quality results. Is action oriented and committed to achieving outcomes.
- Fostering Integration and Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
Interested candidates are kindly requested and strongly encouraged to send their CV To: email@example.com please clearly mention in the email subject Name of the position.
Only Short –listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline for application: COB 14 October 2019