Ended Finance Officer
Job Title: Finance Officer – Yemen
Location: Aden- with regular travel to project locations
Number of positions: One
Reporting to: Finance Coordinator
Key Relationships: Finance and Operations staff, Project partners, MENA Programme team.
Salary range: Competitive INGO Salary
Application period: 1st to 14th of October 2019
Description of Saferworld and Yemen programme: Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organization that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security. We work with civil society, governments and international organizations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others.
The Yemen Programme was established in 2010. We currently have three core areas of work in Yemen:
- Youth, Peacebuilding and Governance. Working with youth groups on local level peacebuilding initiatives in Yemen and the establishment of inclusive, fair and transparent governance systems.
- Gender, Peace and Security. Working with local and national activists to address women’s safety and security concerns as well as looking at security provision for women and women’s role in peacebuilding.
- Community Peacebuilding. Working with communities to mitigate the impact of conflict and improve local resilience, including through better local governance.
The programme seeks to achieve change in these three areas through working with local communities and initiatives, national civil society and government stakeholders and international actors, including linking local voices and needs to national and international forums.
The Yemen country office is part of the Saferworld MENA programme, with staff in London and partners across the MENA region.
Job Purpose: The Finance Officer will provide finance support to the Saferworld Yemen programme team and partners as outlined below.
Summary of key areas of responsibility:
- Initial financial control.
- Preparing accounting journals.
- Processing the entries to the accounting system.
- Timely finance reporting.
- Review partners financial report.
- Support partners finance reporting.
- Keep financial records and perform financial procedures (receipts, payments requests, petty cash, etc.)
- Assist with the organization and management of internal and external audits.
- Ensure all expenses are authorized and processed in accordance with agreed procedures for both Saferworld and donors.
- Maintain the accounting reporting process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of ledgers and all supporting documentation and compliance with finance and procurement regulations.
- Maintain accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate, well archived and safeguarded.
- Ensure agreed reporting dates are maintained according to Saferworld’s policies.
- Support partners with their finance reporting ensuring compliance with Saferworld and donor regulations.
- Help budget holders and partners to understand financial reporting requirements and work to ensure improvements.
- Ensure compliance and consistency with donor finance guidelines, including on receipts procedures.
- Maintain strong control environment: performing bank reconciliations and other control accounts, understand key controls required
- Review all payment request before processing making sure that they are complete, authorized and compliant.
- Coordinate and support the programme team with planning, budgeting and reforecasting.
- Coordinate with UK finance team on monthly and yearly closing.
- Any other duties required from the line manager
Responsibilities might change depending on changing priorities.
- University degree in finance or relevant field.
- At least 3 years’ experience in finance, ideally for an international NGO.
- Experience in setting up new accounting systems.
- Experience working with partners.
- Experience in bookkeeping and computerized accounting systems.
- Experience in making improvements to financial systems and an aptitude for this work is an advantage.
- Experience in reporting to donors in an NGO environment.
- Good understanding of the laws of the Yemeni related to tax, insurance, etc.
- Good planning, organizational skills and efficient work methods.
- Ability to work well in a team, as well as independently.
- Ability to communicate well, including written and verbal English.
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Office (Outlook and Excel).
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of position: This is a national position.
Probation: There will be a probationary period of 3 months
Holidays: There are 30 days leave a year (Jan-Dec) in addition to Yemen public holidays
Salary range: A competitive INGO salary will be offered
Hours: Standard working week is 37.5 hours
Travel: Frequent travel communities in the project areas, dependent on security conditions; occasional
International travel for trainings and regional planning meetings
Please send a completed application form to email@example.com
The application can be downloaded from the link below: https://www.saferworld.org.uk/downloads/saferworld-application-form.docx
Please do rename your application file :- YFO Aden + Your First & Last Name
Please use subject heading Ref: YFO-Aden
Unfortunately, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send your CV as this will NOT be considered in place of, or as well as a completed application form