Ended Senior Finance Officer
JOB TITLE: Senior Finance Officer
Humanitarian Department Yemen Programme
LOCATION: Ibb and Taiz(Hawban)
JOB FAMILY: Finance
SALARY: As per salary scale
Duration: till 31 March 2020
LEVEL: D1 National
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
TEAM PURPOSE: To ensure high quality financial management and programme support throughout Oxfam’s Yemen programme, including that of partners, support programme team in development and implementation of the programme in line with the country business plan
JOB PURPOSE: To contribute to the provision of management and operational services (including maintaining an accurate financial records and reports) within Yemen programme as per Oxfam’s procedures and systems, to enable the delivery of key support activities and help other staff within the area to perform effectively
Post-holder reports to: Post holder reports to: PM.
Staff reporting to this post: Finance officer and assistant
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: None
- Handling queries (general), wide-ranging internal and external, including detailed information.
- Supervisor of day-to-day accounting processing and problem solving.
- Advice at a detailed level.
- Problems will vary but usually have established solutions.
- Manages own time to achieve departmental objectives.
- Contributing to procedures and strategy.
- Project work.
- On the job training - provision of training.
- Support programme staff in preparation, monitoring and management of programme budgets (annual budgeting, project budgeting, donor budgeting) and associate phasing of budgets
- Coordinate the completion of timely and accurate budget monitoring, donor, monthly, quarterly, mid- term and year-end financial reports
- Supervise preparation of accurate and timely monthly accounts (including all monthly registers), via Oxfam’s People soft system and regular submission of mandatory supporting documentation to the RC
- Works closely with the Finance staff in Country Office and Field Offices to ensure correct coding and hence allocation of expenditure to donors, as appropriate and applicable.
- Maintains an up-to-date list of the bank signatories for Ibb and Al Hawban office and tracks changes ie additions and deletions of signatories.
- Reviews and verifies payroll computations for Ibb and Al Hawban, monitors and reconciles pension deductions as well as income tax withheld.
- Adherence to financial procedures
- Ensure clear internal audit trails and supervise the preparation/maintenance of accounts for external audits for Oxfam and/or partners
- Oversee all purchases and payments approved by the PM/the budget holder (including payments to partners) and made on behalf of Oxfam Yemen programme and ensure they are processed in timely manner, according to Oxfam’s policies and procedures, local law and donor’s regulations
- Overall monitoring of the local laws and regulations with impact and relevance for NGOs.
- Ensure the timely preparation of top up requests to the country office as per agreed deadlines,
- Oversee communication and management of the relation with the bank and other external stakeholders (tax authorities, local authorities, external auditors)
- Proactive support and advice to programme staff and partners in relation to finance issues/activities
- Advise on, train and enforce compliance to mandatory procedures and Oxfam’s systems (People Soft and CRIMSON),
- Review and advice on partnership agreements and partners’ financial reports
- With support from the FO ensure consolidation of reports from partners and preparation of timely high quality donor reports
- To ensure that partner’s financial procedures are monitored and their internal financial systems are credible. Provide advice and capacity building as appropriate
- Capacity building of partner’s finance staff based in Ibb and Al Hawban
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- University degree in a finance related subject or professional accountancy qualifications.
- Significant experience (at least 4 years) in financial management in a similar sized organisation.
- Experience of managing a team of staff
- Ability and experience of using financial software package and use of other IT software in particular Microsoft applications.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written in Arabic and English including reporting, explaining difficult financial concepts
- Ability to communicate and engage with different internal and external stakeholders e.g.tax office, partners, staff, donors and RC in Oxford
- Team player
- Ability to train and coach others
- Attention to details, ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision and be able to meet deadlines and to think and plan ahead.
- Able to manage time effectively and deliver results
- High level of initiative and proactiveness
- Influences ways of working and recommends and implements improvements
- Interest in the work of Oxfam and the programme
- Willingness and ability to travel within the country and region.
- Understanding of gender and diversity issues and commitment to promoting gender and diversity equity.
This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder.