Ended Orthopedic Surgeon
Orthopedic Surgeon - Hajjah City
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the position of Orthopedic Surgeon to execute the following tasks:
Main Purpose: In close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre, organizing and carrying out orthopaedic surgery activities, ensuring pre- and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF procedures, protocols, and universal hygiene standards in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Strictly following and applying the treatment of the orthopaedic patients, according to MSF protocols and guidelines in orthopaedic surgery set by the project and by the MSF referents. Applying the principles of war surgery in treating war wounded (internal fixation in closed fractures only). Ensuring that the overall management decision for each orthopaedic patient is known by all - including local staff - doctors and nurses
- Undertaking pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient's consent to operate.
- Performing orthopaedic surgical interventions on MSF patients in accordance with MSF admission criteria, protocols, and standards.
- Performing daily pre op and post op rounds, assessing the orthopaedic patient needs and managing problems accordingly. Ensuring proper follow up of patients in the IPD and following up all post op complications and referring accordingly to the hospital managers/technical referent on how to best manage these complications following MSF protocols, standards and procedures
- Performing traction, splinting and casting of majority of closed fractures, and external fixation on open or pelvic fractures only
- Supervising the proper follow up of the OT register, the register for internal fixations and the register for surgical infections. Filling in all the related documentation (the technique of operation after every operation and the patient order sheets)
- Following up with the nurses that medicines and other orders are being fulfilled. Using the supplied MSF materials and equipment in orthopaedics aptly for each patient and avoiding requests for non-standard materials not available in the country nor within MSF projects. Responsible for the radiologic equipment used in orthopaedics and supervising that others do the same
- Planning, evaluating, and supervising the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection of capabilities.
The orthopedist will be based in Hajja with 50% of the time in Abs, working 2-3 days in Al Gomuri hospital (AGH) and 2-3 days in Abs.
- In AGH will be working in close collaboration with MoH staff an other surgeons, performing surgeries and doing pre and postoperative consultation.
- He will participate in the daily rounds in the IPD surgical (orthopedic)
- Participate in the MCP in case of needs for all the trauma cases in the ER (whenever required)
In Abs Hospital:
- He will help in setting up the orthopedic related activities (training of the surgeons).
- Working in close collaboration with the staffs in the hospital, participate in the daily rounds and consultations in the ER for the orthopaedic cases, deciding on cases that can be done in Abs and the ones that needs a referral.
- Participate in the daily rounds in the Surgical IPD (polyvalent ward).
- Support the team in identifying patients that meet the referral criteria for reconstructive surgery and ensured they are entered into the referral process.
- Participate in the MCP for all trauma case in ER whenever required.
In both hospitals:
- Supervise and coordinate the orthopaedic surgical service in Emergency room, Orthopaedic out – patient clinic, operation theatre, in – patient department and dressing room.
- Providing the best orthopaedic surgical care to patients by working in strong collaboration with the team (surgeons, anaesthesiologists/anaesthetists, OT nurses, physiotherapists, ward nurses and other members of the health team) and by training the personnel in the operating room and in the orthopaedic ward.
- Follow up on the implementation of the MSF protocols (Surgical ATB prophylaxis and treatment) for the orthopedic cases.
- All activities will be done following the universal precautions and all IPC measures
- Rational use of X – Ray machine and CT scan.
- Attend OPD clinics for both follow up and pre-surgery consultations.
- Monitoring his activity
- Ensure orthopaedic surgery databases are complete and up to date
- Provide adequate information on activities to support strategic decision making.
- People Management
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Stress Management
- Team work
Interested applicants should send a detailed CV, cover letter and certificates in English to the following email address:
Deadline for submission before the end of 13/10/2019
Please put the title of the position you apply for in the email subject line as “Orthopedic Surgeon”.
Uncompleted applications won’t be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a technical test and interview.