Obstetrician/Gynaecologist - Hajjah City
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the position of 2 (two) Obstetrician/Gynaecologist to execute the following tasks:
Main Purpose: Implement obstetrical and gynaecological procedures in Al Ghomori Hospital Hajjah, performing any other prior treatment required, during or immediately after a woman has given birth in order to improve women’s reproductive health and to reduce pregnancy, delivery and neonatology risks. This will be done in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in multidisciplinary collaboration with other medical doctors and midwifes. Evaluate risks and decide when is pertinent to perform a C-section. Together with the surgeon, perform C-section in the indicated cases following all the universal precautions and IPC measures.
- Provide health care related to obstetrics and gynaecology patients, including prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Ensure the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols related to obstetrics and gynecology in order to minimize clinical risk and to extend best reproductive practices.
- In collaboration with other medical colleagues, carry out the collection of quantitative obstetrical and gynecological data and ensure exhaustive use of management tools in order to improve obstetrical and gynecological results and to share knowledge among other field specialists.
- Supervise the HR working in the maternity (training, evaluation, etc) in order to ensure both an efficient sizing and the amount of knowledge required. This will be done in close coordination with the HR department.
- Supervise the maintenance and running of the obstetrical/ gyn equipment and drug consumption, preparing new orders when required and ensuring its rational use as well as that pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and available. This will be done in cooperation with the pharmacist and logistic staff, the management,
- The obstetritian/ gynecologist will be based in Hajjah working 1 month in AGH and 1 month in Abs and then AGH… This rotations will be done with another obstetritian.
- Identifies (along with MTL and MAM) the main weaknesses and challenges in the maternities (both in Hajjah and in Abs (structure, equipment, HR, procedures, etc.) and actively brainstorms and proposes corrective/improvement measures.
- Actively participate in the organization of the maternity.
- Identifies, reports and (along with MTL) manages incidents (behavior; attitude; patient management) involving the medical staff under his/her line of supervision, issuing an SMAE report if indicated.
- Validates that the daily consumption and the pharmacy order from the Laboratory are done adequately (and of the other departments, if needed, in collaboration with the MWAM).
Direct patient-care: (Providing technical expertise in the domains of gynaecology and obstetrics):
- Ensures that professional confidentiality is respected.
- Stand available on – call after leaving the hospital (24/7) for any questions regarding patient care management.
- Provide the emergency care (if necessary) in collaboration with the rest of the staff involved.
- Provide in-patient consultations (medical rounds):
- Participate in the daily rounds in the maternity and examining all the patients.
- Ensure treatment is prescribe rationally and following MSF protocols and guidelines.
- Ensure adequate follow-up of the patients and respect of the discharge criteria.
- Ensure the organization and the quality of the medical notes in the patient’s files.
- Ensure the respect of hygiene procedures and infection - control measures in the maternity, as well as the safety of the medical and nursing procedures.
- Ensure the quality of obstetrical care in Maternity department in collaboration with the Midwife Activity Manager,
In Triage/Labour and Delivery room
- Assist in correct triage, diagnosis and management of complications of pregnancy in association with triage Midwives in accordance with MSF protocols.
- In collaboration with the international midwife, ensure correct application of labour protocols including use of partograph and identification and escalation of complications of labour and delivery.
- Perform and teach specific delivery procedures such as external cephalic version, internal podalic version, twin and breech delivery and instrumental delivery following MSF protocols
- Manage and train staff in management of antepartum and postpartum obstetrical emergencies such as uterine rupture or post-partum hemorrhage in accordance with MSF protocols.
In Operation Theatre:
- Carry out emergency surgical interventions in accordance with MSF protocols.
- Carry out the patients’ pre-operative consultations before they undergo surgery; risk evaluation of operation in collaboration with the anaesthetists/anaesthesiologist.
- Ensure that hygiene protocol is respected in the in operation theatre (decontamination, sterilisation, etc.).
- Ensure application of MSF protocols on (ATB, dressings, etc.) and the rational use of surgical material during interventions.
Data analysis and reporting:
- Participates in ensuring the quality of daily/monthly data collection from the maternity
- Responsible for the regular mortality reports, together with the MAM.
- People Management
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Stress Management
- Team work
Interested applicants should send a detailed CV, cover letter and certificates in English to the following email address:
Deadline for submission before the end of 13/10/2019
Please put the title of the position you apply for in the email subject line as “Obstetrician/Gynaecologist”.
Uncompleted applications won’t be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a technical test and interview.