National Programme Officer (Protection)
Position : NATIONAL PROGRAMME OFFICER (PROTECTION)
Organizational Unit : Protection (PROTECTION)
Duty Station : Yemen, Sana’a
IOM Classification : NO-A
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2019/182
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Tuesday 22, September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Working under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, and direct supervision of the Senior Programmes Coordinator (Protection) and in coordination with the Programme Managers, the successful candidate will actively contribute to and participate in the design and development of new programmes/projects, and programme and donor reporting. He/she will undertake the following tasks:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support with coordination and implementation of the IOM Strategic Protection Programme Framework and area- based plans closely following donor requirements and direction of Programme Managers for Community Response and Migrant Protection.
- Support in the drafting and development of projects, in close coordination with PMs and other pertinent IOM departments.
- Support Programme Managers in the monitoring and follow up of administrative and financial requirements of projects.
- Monitor the project implementation by performing regular visits to the areas of operation, ensure that materials are being properly utilized and that assistance is effectively distributed to the beneficiaries. Follow up the schedule with suppliers and prepare and sign completion certificates. Work closely with the administrative units of IOM to ensure adequate contracts management; close out procedures and final payments to suppliers.
- Ensure an effective and active communication with all the stakeholders. Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the Programme Manager indicating progress, constraints and requirements for project completion. Ensure that project data and information is archived and shared appropriately.
- In coordination with the relevant colleagues, ensure that all relevant permits and authorizations are obtained from the local authorities to guarantee project stability and good relations with relevant authorities.
- In close coordination with the Programme Managers and M&E officer, prepare and edit donor reports to support compliance with donor regulations and obligations, as well as the report finalization process with Headquarters and the Regional Office.
- Support the review and editing of assessment and evaluation reports drafted by programme units.
- Coordinate and monitor work of teams and staff to ensure workplans and operational implementation plans are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Social Science, Humanitarian Assistance and a related field from an accredited academic institution University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Migrant and IDP protection activities in an emergency humanitarian context;
- Awareness and understanding of the application of humanitarian principles, code of conduct and minimum protection principles;
- Excellent written skills especially in drafting high quality reports, briefings and analysis;
- High level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines in a complex and fast changing environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Knowledge of international agencies like the UN an advantage.
Fluent English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global and political context
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Tuesday 22 Oct 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line SVN2019/182 Sana’a, National Program Officer (PROTECTION) NOA
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).