Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. Search seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 400 staff worldwide, Search implements projects from 39 offices in 36 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy: Project Officer
Duration: Annual contract based on the project and performance
The Project Officer who will be employed under the project titled “Promoting Women’s Inclusion in Peacebuilding in Yemen” implemented in four governorates of Yemen and funded by the Government of Canada. The program aims to advance the inclusion of a diversity of women in peacebuilding at the local and national level in Yemen in Ibb, Abyan, Taiz and Lahj (three districts per governorate, total twelve districts).
Based in Sana’a, Yemen, the Project Officer will report to the Project Coordinator. S/He will provide essential support to the project, working with the Project Manager and other team members to achieve project success. The Project Officer will be responsible for managing the field-level program implementation and for achievement of the field level outputs. S/He will implement the project activities within his/her respective area of responsibility as per the annual work plan and budget.
The Project Officer will report to the Project Coordinator and will work closely with other team members, and is responsible for the following:
- Facilitate the implementation of outreach activities with local partners at the governorates and districts level. This could be achieved by maintaining contact, attending activities, regular reporting with local partners, ensuring that activities are running according to the plan.
- Provide regular feedback to local partners and Community Resolution committees as needed, and monitor the implementation of work plan to improve project’s quality and achieve timelines.
- Serve as focal person in the field for Search stakeholders, maintain respectful and constructive relations, and ensure regular meetings and ongoing coordination.
- Support the Insider Mediators in strengthening and promoting community engagement processes in the project areas, particularly identifying the conflict cases and addressing and resolving community issues.
- Assist in the collection of data, and assessment.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation and maintain the highest standards of behavior when working with the community targeted.
- Adherence to all organizational policies and procedures as outlined in Search policies and procedure manuals.
- Follow all organizational protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by HR department.
- Coordinates and supports team coordinators in work planning, reporting, partner liaison, networking and communication.
- Carries out frequent field visits to targeted districts to facilitate and supervise project’s activities.
- Keeps Project Coordinator informed of progress achieved and challenges faced (through regular reports).
- Ensures implementation of activities as per the work plan and all related documents and logistics are prepared and approved.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- A university degree or equivalent certificate/diploma or similar qualification from a recognized establishment or equivalent experiences.
- At least 2-4 years’ professional experience in a comparable position including extensive fieldwork.
- Previous experience in community engagement and peacebuilding programing in the context of Yemen.
- Demonstrated good skills and experience in administrative, organizational, and operational project work.
- Strong Community Mobilization skills.
- Ability to analyze and present information in a clear manner.
- Ability to work independently and problem-solving skills.
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community development.
- Good knowledge of Yemeni conflict context and previous field experience (preferably in southern Yemen).
- Strong knowledge of local context and dynamics in the target governorates.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to build and conduct effective professional working relationships.
- Ability to work through stringent deadlines with acute attention to detail.
- Maintains focus on priorities.
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communications.
- Ability to coordinate all aspects of an event including logistics, correspondence, and financial reports.
- Ability to coordinate and lead committee meetings.
- Demonstrated computer skills (Word and Excel).
- Good command of English and Arabic.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
This position will close on November 14, 2019.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.