Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. Search seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 400 staff worldwide, Search implements projects from 39 offices in 36 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy: Project Assistant
Duration: Annual contract based on the project and performance
The Project Assistant who will be employed under the project titled “Promoting Women’s Inclusion in Peacebuilding in Yemen” implemented in four governorates of Yemen and funded by the Government of Canada. The program aims to advance the inclusion of a diversity of women in peacebuilding at the local and national level in Yemen in Ibb, Abyan, Taiz and Lahj (three districts per governorate, total twelve districts).
Based in Aden, Yemen, the Project Assistant will report to the Project Manager. S/He will provide essential support to the project, handle administrative functions, such as planning meetings, tracking budgets and overseeing the minute details associated with complex task tracking, working with the Project Manager and other team members to achieve project success.
The Project Assistant will report to the Project Manager and will work closely with other team members, and is responsible for the following:
Project Support including but not limited to:
- Supports implementation of project’s activities by following up activities update in the field.
- Assists in documenting events and workshops and have media documentation organized and properly filed.
- Preparing the documents of contracting project partners and consultants.
- Extend other assistance to the project when required.
- Adherence to all organizational policies and procedures as outlined in Search policies and procedure manuals.
- Follow all organizational protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by HR department.
Archiving support for the project documents but not limited to:
- Ensures project files are kept updated and have most current information; process incoming documentation from partners.
- Meticulously name and classify each file/document stored in computer, to insure easy access.
- Follow up with fields for any missing documents and make sure that all required documents are fully completed, by creating excel sheet database (Checklist) – to ensure proper follow up and report any missing documents.
- Maintain electronic/hard copy filing for staff files particularly for contracts, extensions and amendments.
- Store them properly documented in the archiving room.
- Prepare the required documents in case of external/internal audit, under supervision of the line supervisor.
Admin support for the project team including but not limited to:
- Attends meetings with partners and take minutes.
- Ensures documents requiring signature are approved and processed in a timely manner.
- Receives and collects documents related to the project activities and maintains an accurate and complete filing system electronically and in hard copies.
- Prepares logistics, including invitations, participants’ cards, desk signs, participants’ lists, attendance lists, invoices, per diem forms, taking photos, making copies needed for the training materials, certificates and filling up request forms for stationery needed.
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned.
You meet the following qualifications:
- A university degree or equivalent certificate/diploma or similar qualification from a recognized establishment or equivalent experiences.
- At least 2 years’ professional experience in a comparable position including extensive fieldwork.
- Organized and has good archiving and filing skills
- Ability to analyze and present information in a clear manner.
- Ability to work independently and problem-solving skills.
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community development.
- Good knowledge of Yemeni conflict context and previous field experience (preferably in southern Yemen).
- Flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated computer skills (Word and Excel).
- Very good in both English and Arabic
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Discipline and punctuality
- Ability to work through stringent deadlines with acute attention to detail.
- Maintains focus on priorities.
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communications.
- Good command of English and Arabic.
This position will close on November 14, 2019.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.