Ended Women Peace Advisor
Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. Search seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 400 staff worldwide, Search implements projects from 39 offices in 36 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy: Women Peace Advisor
Duration: Annual contract based on the project and performance
Location: Sana’a or Aden
The Women Peace Advisor who will be employed under the project titled “Promoting Women’s Inclusion in Peacebuilding in Yemen” implemented in four governorates of Yemen and funded by the Government of Canada. The program aims to advance the inclusion of a diversity of women in peacebuilding at the local and national level in Yemen in Ibb, Abyan, Taiz and Lahj (three districts per governorate, total twelve districts).
Based in Sana’a/Aden, Yemen, the Women Peace Advisor will report to the Project Manager. S/He will backstop support to the project in developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating high quality and results in oriented gender, strategies, and systems. This includes guidance on project-specific strategic direction, ensuring technical excellence and overseeing the quality of programmatic work. A strong background in gender, conflict analysis, and peacebuilding will serve to integrate and shape project-related outcomes.
The Women Peace Advisor will report to the Project Manager and will work closely with other team members, and is responsible for the following:
Strategic planning, project development, integration and technical support;
- Developing a Conflict Sensitivity strategy, and/or a corporate Conflict Sensitivity policy.
- Establishing processes and systems for the project’s Conflict Sensitivity analysis and reporting.
- Wide knowledge of the Track I, II and III and the Yemeni National Dialogue Conference.
- Provide high-quality technical advice to the project team on the integration of gender in the implementation and evaluation of the project.
- Provide effective communication and representation, expanded partnerships heightened visibility for Search’s gender work at the targeted governorates levels.
- Developing capacity building training materials for the project.
- Support ongoing capacity-building efforts of staff members, particularly in specific thematic areas relevant to gender; women, peace and security; and women’s empowerment and inclusion.
- Supervise and be responsible for all gender technical aspects of daily project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
- Support other team coordinators, officers, and assistants on all issues related to women program implementation.
- Support to prepare manuals, brochures, and other relevant IEC materials on promoting women’s inclusion in peacebuilding.
- Adherence to all organizational policies and procedures as outlined in Search policies and procedure manuals.
- Follow all organizational protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by HR department.
Learning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Facilitate learning and knowledge-sharing for the project with a strong gender component.
- Stay informed of the gender and conflict transformation field to ensure that the project work remains innovative and professional.
- Ensures the agreed project management methods, standards, and processes are maintained throughout the project lifecycle.
- Assist in ensuring the quality of conflict cases scanned.
- Oversee and ensure quality implementation of actors involved in the program;
- Ensures quality filing and reporting systems for project activities, feeding into reports to donors on gender implementation progress and achieved results.
- Carries out frequent field visits to targeted districts to supervise the project’s activities and gives feedback and guidance to implementing local partners, facilitators, and consultants.
- Keeps Project Manager informed of progress achieved and challenges faced (through regular reports).
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- BA, in relevant field
- At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible work experience and demonstrated track record of having substantially contributed to programming on gender; women, peace and security; women’s engagement in Track I, II and III, and/or women’s empowerment.
Skills and Competencies
- Extensive experience working in and/or knowledge gender mainstreaming; women, peace and security; women’s engagement, and/or women’s empowerment.
- Previous experience in community engagement and peacebuilding programing in the context of Yemen especially in southern Yemen.
- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of program implementation.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in conflict transformation, dialogue, negotiation, and mediation approaches.
- Ability to successfully inspire the project team on achieving results.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional working relationships.
- Dynamic leader with creative problem-solving skills and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing monitoring systems and initiating regular evaluations of programs’ gender-related results and indicators.
- Ability to work with people at all levels, ranging from high-level officials to community leaders.
- Strong knowledge of local context and dynamics in the target governorates.
- Written and oral fluency in Arabic and English.
- Flexible to work under pressure and remote areas.
- Maintains focus on priorities.
This position will close on November 14, 2019.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.