Ended Senior Geographical Information Systems/M&E Officer
Job Title: Senior Geographical Information Systems/M&E Officer - Emergency Preparedness and Response Program
Location : Aden/ Yemen
Reports to: M&E Manager
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) has launched a new Emergency Preparedness and Response Program to extend the reach of emergency preparedness through stronger coordination and timely provision of life-saving interventions. Using an Emergency Preparedness and Response Mechanism (EPRM), the IRC will work through a network of international and local partners to ensure enhanced, effective, timely, and more wide-reaching emergency response for conflict-affected populations in the South.
Role Overview: The main objective of this role is to support GIS, monitoring, evaluation and learning activities for the EPRM program. The role will contribute to overall program quality through the planning, implementation and coordination of enhanced GIS, monitoring, evaluation and learning approaches including developing standard data collection tools, supporting joint multi-agency assessments, routine data collection, analysis, visualization and production of high quality information products including reports, various charts, maps among others. The holder will streamline processes and tools for program reach, efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability throughout the EPRM project cycle across the various IRC sectors and departments. This position will based in Aden but will require frequent travel to the field.
- Ensure that the IRC's global monitoring for action (MfA) standards are implemented by the IRC and its implementing partners for improved program quality and use of data within the EPRM program. As part of this, champion an organizational culture shift from a focus on data being primarily for donor reporting or indicator tracking to using data for programmatic course correction and decision making
- Lead geospatial data collection, management, analysis and development of compelling maps and other information products that will visualize locations of conflict affected populations, service coverage and other parameters of interest. Maintain a repository of spatial data and ensure that the data are accessible to the IRC at all times
- Lead the development and deployment of mobile data collection and management systems using CommCare, ONA or KOBO and strengthen related processes for data collection, cleaning, verification, analysis and timely reporting on program performance for the EPRM program
- Develop project specific monitoring and indicator tracking tools in consultation with the EPRM program team and implementing partners
- Support the planning and implementation of periodic partner monitoring and data quality assessment exercises including dissemination of findings and follow up of action points
- Play a key role in planning and implementation of needs assessments and real time evaluations for emergency responses including developing data collection tools, recruitment and training of enumerators, setting up mobile devices and supervision of data collection, supporting data analysis, report writing and dissemination of findings
- Lead emergency response M&E capacity building activities for the IRC, implementing partners, and local authorities based on training needs identified
- Facilitate and participate in periodic lessons learnt sessions within the IRC and among implementing partners
- Maintain a proper filing/archiving system for all M&E resources including data collection tools, datasets, reports, SOPs, strategies among others
Candidate selection will be based on the criteria described below.
- A Bachelor`s degree in Information Technology, Statistics or other relevant fields with at least four years of relevant professional work experience. An advanced degree in any of the above fields is an added advantage
- Minimum of four years’ experience in an international NGO in similar role/with similar responsibilities specifically in the humanitarian contexts
- Must be experienced in the use of geographical information system software e.g. Arc GIS in development, management, analysis and visualization of spatial/georeferenced data
- Must be experienced in developing and using mobile technology especially CommCare, ONA, KOBO and PowerBI for data collection, management, analysis and visualization
- Skilled in developing M&E tools and capacity building of teams
- High proficiency in Excel, STATA, SPSS or any other data analysis software
- Effective communication, writing, and interpersonal skills are essential
- Ability to work after office hours to achieve assigned tasks as per need & priority
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link: https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=7018
Deadline for Applying: November 13, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.