Ended Emergency WASH Officer
Emergency WASH Officer
Location of position: Aden, Emergency Team, Yemen with at least 80% of the time in the field.
I. Presentation of organization
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization, which has been committed to provide aid in the event of conflicts and natural disasters. SI’s mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food, and shelter.
The Yemeni mission is looking for a Roving Emergency WASH Team officer, based in Aden but with frequent extended field visits in different geographical areas, depending on emergency needs.
SI is looking for a profile with strong technical WASH engineering skills and extended professional experience working in rapid response emergency WASH activities. A special professional focus on cholera response, malnutrition and population displacement due to conflict is mandatory. The candidate has to be proactive, autonomous and with solution-oriented mindset. The candidate has to be particularly attracted to the rapid resolution of technical challenges and action plans with a very limited period of time.
The position will be based in Aden, Yemen with at least 80% of the time in the field.
II. Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency WASH Team Leader and the overall management of the Emergency WASH PM, the Emergency Wash Officer will implement, monitor and report Emergency WASH activities, ensuring that Solidarités International technical recommendations and procedures are followed.
- He/She will be roving between SI bases and Sub bases in Yemen, and will be working on areas with volatile security.
- He/She will be implementing emergencies activities and therefore must be flexible with movements, comfort on the field, and workhours.
- He/she will comply with the core humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality, humanity and independence as well as with the principles and mandate of Solidarités International at all times.
List of main tasks:
Implementation & Supervision of Water & Sanitation Activities
- Under the supervision of the Emergency Team Leader:
- Participate in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of activities.
- Produce technical files (BoQs, Scope of work, Drawing etc.) according to the identified needs, standards and available resources.
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction works using Solidarités International tools (in particular) and according to Solidarités International internal rules.
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out.
- Carry out technical assessments of identified sites and make recommendations for appropriate tailored interventions.
- Train daily workers and other hired skilled laborers.
- Allocate tasks and supervise the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the Emergency Team Leader.
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates.
- Provide the Emergency Team Leader with requests regarding material, tools or service needs on regular basis according to the needs.
- Produce with the supplier the Quality and Quantity check at the end of each work in order to release payment using SI’s internal tools.
- Supervise contractors and engage with communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation.
- Manage the supply of worksite materials as instructed by the Emergency Team Leader by collaborating with the logistics department.
- Report to the Emergency Team Leader or in absence; to the WASH Program Manager on the state of ‘field’ stock on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors/plumbers.
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population.
- Provide training to all relevant beneficiaries (health facility workers, daily laborers, beneficiaries) to ensure the safe and appropriate use of facilities installed.
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her Emergency Team Leader and or WASH Program Manager.
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of the Emergency Team Leader.
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives when requested by the Emergency Team Leader or WASH Program Manager.
- Report to the Emergency Team Leader the progress of the activities he/she is in charge of according to Solidarités International reporting template.
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues.
- Listen to and coordinate with the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités.
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population.
- Take part in lessons learnt workshops and other program evaluation activities.
- Represent Solidarités International at local and construction site level when requested by the Emergency Team Leader or WASH Program Manager.
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: WASH Team Leader
III. Profile required
Education and experience
- Civil engineering knowledge (particularly in water and sewerage network design/rehabilitation)
- Understanding of emergency water, sanitation, public health and hygiene promotion system and their design (mandatory knowledge in cholera response, emergency WASH in collective IDP sites, targeting, rapid response mechanisms).
- Understanding of rapid needs assessments, KAP surveys, baseline surveys, and security assessments.
- Understanding of delivering WASH services in emergency context is mandatory.
- Must be willing to learn new skills and procedures
- Must be a good team player with good communication skills (Arabic essential, English is desirable)
- Ability to speak and write in English
- Knowledge of hygiene promotion
- Ability to conduct training sessions
- Knowledge of WASH in health facilities.
Please submit your application (CV and Cover Letter) to Solidarités International by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Title of the related position must be written in the email subject
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Final date for applications: 12th of November 2019