Ended Area Liaison Officer
CARE International is currently seeking an Area Liaison Officer. He/She will supports the Area Manager in maintaining and developing CARE's relations with governorate level authorities of the Government of Yemen. He/She will liaise with relevant officials to ensure timely and effective approval of CARE’s programs/ projects in the target governorates.
Area Liaison Officer
He/She is responsible to keep healthy relationships with the local authorities of the target governorates and, generally, with CARE’s stakeholders, including humanitarian agencies, civil society organizations and relevant official bodies/offices. The position is decisive in terms of promoting the role of CARE in aforementioned governorates by fostering its image, brand and representing the organization in coordination meetings with key stakeholders; map the various governmental actors, LNGOs and other groups; assist with organizing trainings workshops and other events.
Overall coordination in representing CARE with the Government entities and other key stakeholders in the targeted areas including reinforcement healthy and effective relationship with them:
- Support and accompany CARE’s Senior staff for meetings with government entities whenever demanded including interpretation/translation process.
- Regularly meet local authorities’ focal points, to support effective inter-organizational communications;
- Ensuring that the required monthly/quarterly/biannual and annual reports are submitted in timely manner to relevant government authorities, departments at district and governorate level, ensuring adherence to CARE policies, procedure and donor requirements.
- By close coordination with S&S officer, to ensure the process of International Staff Travel Authorization to the field visits are prepared and managed in a speedy and accurate manner at district and governorate level.
- Manage timely and accurate response to government orders, information, documents and letters related to CARE’s program.
- Participate with Area Manager in the preparation of agreements, Sub-Agreements and MoUs, coordination and liaison section/s in particular.
- Draft, submit, follow up and record physical and electronic archives of all communications with government authorities, including but not limited to: program inquiries (agreements and MoUs signing) and authorization requests, mission requests, meetings and workshops, reporting, permits (work, field visit work plans) …etc.
- Facilitate obtaining team’s movements and permits for program operation and activities implementation in the targeted areas with the relevant stakeholders and government authorities.
- Attend coordination meetings on behalf of the director of program support. In case of absence of leave the area liaison officer does a full handover meeting with the director of program support as well as the area manager
- Participate in meetings regarding the development of the Government liaison strategy and provide input on needs and gaps.
Develop and maintain awareness of relevant governmental laws, policies and procedures that has significant impact on CARE’s operation in the targeted areas:
- Updating of contact list for the key stakeholders.
- Keep abreast and monitor of policies and procedure developments in relevant government bodies and regularly and internally share summaries with the Area Manager and Director of Program Support and Government liaison on changes impacts on CARE and its program and to support CARE compliance with domestic legislation and guidance.
- Capture and share lessons learned for ensuring adequate collaboration with different levels of local authorities and its official bodies in the target areas
- Ensure proper archiving and filing of all incoming and outgoing documents related to assignment.
- Coordinate with other INGOs to analyze and document best practices for engaging with the local authorities and obtaining programs/projects approvals
- Regularly (or on an ad hoc basis) internally discuss bureaucratic impediments suffered by CARE’s field offices in the target areas, and follow up issues with respective bodies.
Building the capacity of the relevant government entities in order to overcome challenges and obstacles and to facilitate delivering programs/projects outputs to the beneficiaries timely and in a proper manner:
- Through regular feedback from relevant government entities to identify key areas for development and specific capacity building needs of their staff and offices and to be shared with Area Manager to be included in developed proposals.
- Prepare and conduct capacity building trainings based on capacity building plan for relevant key government stakeholders
- Support government stakeholders’ partners with required furniture and equipment which are core for facilitating program/projects implementation duly.
- Discuss with Area Manager and other program staff the development the involvement of technical governmental offices in the program cycle (i.e. implementation) whenever possible
- By close coordination with Area Manager to invite relevant governmental sides to trainings, workshops, assessments and other events.
- Coordinate the monitoring and evaluation processes of CARE projects/Programs and joint visits with authorities at district and governorate level.
- University degree in public or business administration preferred
- 4-5 years’ experience from working in government relations for a humanitarian organization
- Experience of liaison and representation with senior level authorities in the target governorates
- Good knowledge of governance and administrative structures within Yemen.
- Knowledge of Yemen legislation and policies related to INGO work in the country
- Knowledge of humanitarian coordination mechanisms, international NGO and UN mandates
- Demonstrated diplomatic communication skills with ability to build a strong network with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Ability to absorb complex written and verbal information and communicate effectively.
- Works effectively in partnership and gains confidence of stakeholders and col-leagues
- Demonstrated ability to make strong judgements independently
- Excellent networking skills
- Ability to plan develop and deliver outreach talks, workshops and coordination meetings to relevant stakeholders.
- Prioritizes tasks and organizes own time effectively
- Able to do required regular travel within a designated Local Authority area and may also require travel outside the area, thus flexibility is required to meet this need as it appears.
- His/her service may incorporate an “Out of hours” service. The post holder will need to fulfil listed duties as may be required of the service
- An understanding and observance of impartiality and confidentiality
- Ability to engage and influence government authorities and its departments to achieve results.
- Ability to strengthen effective working relationships at all levels.
- Flexible and adaptable style/approach towards the requirements of the role and the business demands
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Diplomatic communication and ability to build a strong network
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively advocate on behalf of CARE.
- Strong analytical skills for identification of key issues
- Native Arabic speaker and advanced English language skills
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, standards and other humanitarian related issues.
- Demonstrated high attention to details.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and produce results in a timely and quality manner
- Good computer skills, particularly in Word and Excel, Power point and Internet.
Interested applicants should send a CV (English) by November 9th 2019 to YEMVacancyAden@care.org with the subject heading ‘Area Liaison Officer” Please do not apply unless you meet minimum application requirements, otherwise you will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.