Ended Safety Assistant
Duty Station [Mocha /khokha-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
his role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
• Assists in the development and implementation of safety policies, plans and procedures in areas of operation
• Provides advice on all manner of safety related manners and protocol.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitor the evolving situation in areas of operation and relay this information to relevant staff members.
• Establish a network of local contacts which facilitates safe access for DRC operations.
• Assist in the development and facilitation of training to DRC staff and drivers.
• Lead in the conduct of site assessments of office spaces, guesthouses, warehouses and other sites as required.
• Assist in the drafting of standard operating procedures, contingency plans, threat assessments and other documents
• Assist in the updating of pre-arrival briefs, local safety rules, security phone trees and safety briefs.
• Assist the implementation of safety policies, protocols and procedures.
• Lead regular safety audits of the offices, warehouses and guesthouses to include, but not limited to, checks of fire extinguishers, safe room supplies, first aid kits, emergency communication equipment and physical security elements (MOSS).
• Assist in the development of Safety Improvement Plans (SIP) for any gaps in safety identified.
• Monitor vehicle and personal tracking system. Alert relevant parties in case of an emergency event
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 1 year's experience in similar role
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover we also expect the following:
- Essential qualification
Bachelor’s degree in political science , Policy Academy
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic.
DRC will offer the successful applicant one year contract , renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Mocha / Khokha with travel to Field Location.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band ( I Non- Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 17 November 2019. Due to the urgency to fill these positions, interviews will be on a rolling basis.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo