Ended Safety Officer
Duty Station [Mocha-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
To provide administrative assistance and technical support and ensure that programs and projects activities are implemented in a secure, safe and effective manner.
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Communication & information
• Support and facilitate the communication and coordination with relevant stakeholders on all matters relating to the safety of DRC staff within geographical area of responsibility
• Collect, verify, analyze and report information that affects, or may affect, DRC operations
• Prepare and submit Safety Incident Reports (SIR)
• Monitor staff movements, report on movement irregularities and initiate emergency response if needed
• Ensure that DRC drivers follow Movement SOP and comply with DRC standards
• Disseminate safety alerts to staff
• Brief visitors and new staff members on safety procedures
Safety Risk Management
• Contribute to Safety Risk Assessments (SRAs)
• Ensure MOSS compliance, report shortcomings to Area Manager and Safety Coordinator
• Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities
• Contribute the procurement and issue of safety and protective equipment
• Conduct regular site assessments and advise on mitigation measures
• Ensure follow-up audits
• Support the Safety Coordinator in updating the Safety Level System (SLS)
• Support the Safety Coordinator in designing and implementing training on safety procedures for staff
• Maintain a network of contacts and represent DRC at safety meetings
• Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
• Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in security operations and management.
• Full professional proficiency in English
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
• Stable, moral and robust character and a good team player
• Excellent communication skills.
• Proven commitment to accountability practices
• High personal and professional integrity
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Training in safety, fire and evacuation procedures
• Training in safety and disaster management
• Experience in negotiating access for humanitarian or other agencies
• Advanced English proficiency
• Fluency in local language
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover we also expect the following:
- Essential qualification
Bachelor’s degree safety – political since- police academy
- Arabic - Fluent, reading and writing
- English - Fluent, reading and writing
DRC will offer the successful applicant one year contract , renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Mocha with travel to Field Location.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band ( H Non- Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 17 November 2019. Due to the urgency to fill these positions, interviews will be on a rolling basis.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo